OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I hunt in tennis shoes!

Started by longbow59, April 28, 2023, 10:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbow59

I thought I would post some of the changes I have made in the way I hunt. I am not advocating how anyone should hunt, but these work for me. For context I hunt in south west Alabama in mostly river bottoms. I know the terrain where you hunt will dictate your methods and equipment. I started Turkey hunting when I was early forties and am 63 now.

I wore lacrosse rubber boots for years trying not to get my feet wet. Well I still got my feet wet wading through water. So now I just wear a pair of lightweight tennis shoes and I just get wet feet if that what I have to do to get to a bird. Another bonus of tennis shoes is their so light weight they feel great. Also much easier to walk quite in the woods.

Another thing I changed is I took my seat off of my Turkey vest. I just sit on the bare ground it doesn't bother me. Usually you have to move working a Turkey, much easier to just move than worrying about a seat or cushion. I also feel I hide better by getting as low to the ground as possible.

The other change I made is hunting exclusively with a 20 gauge and tss ammo. The last 5 years I have had no problems killing birds with a 20 gauge. They are a joy to carry when you do a lot of walking and don't cause brain damage when you pull the trigger.

Zobo

As long as they aren't red, white or blue.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Lcmacd 58

I started out wearing tennis shoes to hunt turkeys 45 years ago. They are light and I could move through the woods pretty quiet.  I also shoot a 20 guage and TSS with no issues.

strum

If its warm enough ill wear mine too. most days here in N Ga I have to wear boots. As far as a seat goes. Glenda Green made me an innertube seat with an elastic strap that goes around my waist. its right there when I move. I don't use a vest. Most days if it dont fit in my pockets it don't go. Other days when I know ill be further in and plan to stay longer ill use a small fanny pack.

Greg Massey

I have used the hiking style shoes, but for myself i want more foot support and traction on ruff terrain...  But if you feel comfortable wearing tennis shoes, then I say go for it ... 

guesswho

Sounds a lot like my attire.  Tennis shoes or crocs, no vest or cushion to deal with, weapon of choice is split about 50/50 between a 20 gauge and a 410.    The brain damage has already been done from years of 10 gauge and 12 gauge abuse.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

Back in the 60's, 70's, and maybe even into the 80's, my standard footwear was high-top Converse All-Stars.  Age and too many sprained ankles finally got to me. Over the years I have graduated to boots with a great deal more support,...mostly out of necessity.  Don't know about others, but I have found out the hard way that a guy can only torture his feet and ankles for so long before it catches up to him.   ::) ;D

guesswho

And I heard from a reliable source that you replaced your cushioned vest with Depends.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Lcmacd 58

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 28, 2023, 03:18:48 PM
Back in the 60's, 70's, and maybe even into the 80's, my standard footwear was high-top Converse All-Stars.  Age and too many sprained ankles finally got to me. Over the years I have graduated to boots with a great deal more support,...mostly out of necessity.  Don't know about others, but I have found out the hard way that a guy can only torture his feet and ankles for so long before it catches up to him.   ::) ;D

No truer words have been spoken
2 aleve before I hit the woods does wonders ...

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on April 28, 2023, 03:26:25 PM
And I heard from a reliable source that you replaced your cushioned vest with Depends.

:D  That water dun went under the bridge years ago, buddy.  The real question, though, is since when do you hang around with anybody that is a "reliable source"?...   ;D

guesswho

BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Notsoyoungturk

Great points but I am just a coward.  I still have too much respect for Mr. No Shoulders to give up my snake boots.  I don't think my ankles could take tennis shoes but hikers would sure be more comfortable.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Sir-diealot

I pretty much have to do the same, I have been trying to find boots that did not hurt me but can't find any. Will have to get out the Peet air dryer for my shoes.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

Several years ago I bought these Danner Hunting Sneakers/Shoes. I wear them on warmer, dry days, they do have support, the materials are solid. I would wear them all the time if I could........
"Solo hunter"

Marc

For the most part, I ditched the seat as well.  Too much of a pain, and it is my back, not my butt that causes issue.

I often ditch the vest to make a short move...  Mouth calls in a necklace wallet, maybe a box call in my cargo pocket...  And there have been times when that one quick moves turns into a couple short moves, into a longer move...  Couple years back, took me a while to find my vest after killing a bird.

But I am with GobbleNut on the ankle support...  Twisted my ankle a couple years back, and it still hurts.  I am hunting steep/hilly/rocky terrain...  And not to mention all the stickers and vegetation that would get into tennis shoes....

Hunting were I do, the rubber boots would be a horrible choice...  Light weight water-proof hunting boots with good soles and good ankle support are a must (although those waterproof boots have never proven to be waterproof very long).

As to the depends...  Seems like it could work, and would sure cut down on people asking to hunt with you....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.