Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

West Kentucky or Indiana advice needed

Started by Jordan121787, April 23, 2023, 07:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan121787

I'm about to go on my 2nd turkey trip ever and I need some turkey hunter guidance. I don't have but two friends that turkey hunt seriously.

Last year I went to southern indiana and was able to have a great time. It was my first ever out of state trip so I learned a lot. I definitely know what to do better this year. I managed to get on a bird or two  every day, but they were just a little too far than I like to take. I think i hiked about 52 miles in 4 days so I put in the boot time.

Now this year, I have more experience and time to hunt. My two options are western Kentucky public land and have the possibility of getting two tags filled in unfamiliar and unscouted areas or I could go back to where I was in Indiana with scouting knowledge but only would fill one tag and head home. I'm not sure which one to do.

Any western Kentucky advice? Is late season there going to be tougher than Indiana? Feel free to pm me if you don't wish to name drop. Any places I should avoid?

sasquatch1

When you going? Being Indiana is just about to open, and you have knowledge there already, that's where I'd be heading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lcmacd 58

I would go back to familiar territory  ....

Jordan121787

Quote from: sasquatch1 on April 23, 2023, 07:18:04 PM
When you going? Being Indiana is just about to open, and you have knowledge there already, that's where I'd be heading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
First week of may!

g8rvet

I know nothing of those places, but I know the better I  know the lay of the land, the better my odds of success.  Then you can show up, scout and hunt instead of doing too much drive time.  New places are cool too though. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

TauntoHawk

Go back and finish the job! I went to a new state one year and much like you I put 10-12 mile days hunting until noon scouting other areas in the afternoon, and listening in the evening. Got close, figured out the terrain and some areas holding birds but couldn't get it done. My next few trips to that area over the following few seasons I was very successful using that prior knowledge and understanding the lay of the land.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Lcmacd 58

New places are fun .... they take alot of time and effort .... just depends on your goal.... I'm 64 .... I would go back to an area I already had a feel for

olemossyhorns

I'd go back to where I have previous knowledge at, plus Kentucky opened 11 days prior to Indiana opening. Less days = more birds alive.