turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Public Land/Private Land Tips

Started by Garrett213, March 28, 2023, 08:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrett213

I've been watching a flock since last year. A Tom with a couple hens. They roost about 50 yards or so on public land (real thick woods and brush) and pitch out every morning into a private field. They walk in this field and other adjacent private fields all day until it's time to come roost. I tried decoys and calling last year but he wasn't interested. I was thinking about sitting around where they roost until it's time for them to come back and try and catch him that way. But I'm not sure if they're flying back up to roost from the private field or if they are walking on to the public land a bit before flying up. Like is said, the public land is thick and there is a barbed wire fend that divides the two. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks.

Delmar ODonnell

If you can't get permission on the private, I would go find different turkeys to hunt. They are fun to watch, but it is a waste of time if their feet never hit public.

Uncle Tom

Get in there and cut you an access path to where you think they are traveling to and from roost.....have done it in the past.  Do not disturb them....need to be done before season opening....sooner or later you will catch them using your highway you have created. They call it ambushing and sometimes only way to get him. I try not to do this, prefer calling one in and have him trying to find me. On the other hand, you might call him in doing this...you never know till you try.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Uncle Tom on March 29, 2023, 08:44:47 AM
Get in there and cut you an access path to where you think they are traveling to and from roost.....have done it in the past.  Do not disturb them....need to be done before season opening....sooner or later you will catch them using your highway you have created. They call it ambushing and sometimes only way to get him. I try not to do this, prefer calling one in and have him trying to find me. On the other hand, you might call him in doing this...you never know till you try.
This is a major offense in some states, big time fines, MAYBE loss of license but do not quote me on that part and possible jail time. I know of one who was fined 500.00 for trimming shooting lanes and it was a dead tree on the ground. Just be sure to check the state laws and federal laws for the area you are hunting.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

TonyTurk

Maybe go back there late in the season when the hens are nesting and have left him.  He might be more willing to cross the fence back onto public in an accessible area if he is lonely.

Garrett213

Thanks for all the replies, I'm going out there early this Saturday and stay out there all day and see if I can come up with a game plan.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Garrett213 on March 29, 2023, 02:06:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I'm going out there early this Saturday and stay out there all day and see if I can come up with a game plan.
Best of luck to you, hope you have a great day if you get one or not.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

jwhunter

get between the birds and the property line. they might pitch down on your side. you never know until you try

jwhunter

go in there in the evening. try and call them in before fly up. if you cant flush them once they all fly up. guaranteed you will have a chance the next morning. they might fly up deeper in the timber

Marc

Keep your eye on him...

When the hens leave him for the nest (at some point in mid-morning), and later in the season when the hens are no longer interested in breeding, he will be roaming looking for a willing hen...  He might be a bird that takes some patience...  He might be a bird that lives another season...

Look for some other more willing birds on the roost.

Also remember, if he is on public, and you know where he is, so do other hunters.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Flatsnbay

Have you tried a Jake decoy placed where he could see it from the  private Property? It might cause him to come in to try and intimidate the Jake.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk