Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

This is Why You Remove State Names from YouTube Videos!!!!!!!

Started by deerhunt1988, October 01, 2021, 01:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joey46

Quote from: GobbleGitr on October 01, 2021, 07:31:37 PM
Seems like that is using personal data without permission to me

It's not.  Been discussed into the ground.  KY has several forums such as this.  They don't like non-res anymore than FL, MS, AL,  etc etc like non-res in their states.  Just the way things are now.

UpperTully

So help me understand this.

You're complaining of YouTubers ruining public ground by claiming the state they're hunting.

Yet you're blasting a source in a public forum that specifically exposes the WMAs they're hunting on.

THattaway

What is the difference of you tubers doing what they do and sporting magazines doing what they've done for many years? Plenty of "secret" public hunting and fishing spots outed by articles and higher pressure as a result.

Two quotes come to mind.
Mr. Eddie Wyatt who was owner of The fly shop of Tennessee: "There are no secret spots."
Michael Waddell: "You are not God's gift to hunting. Hunting is God's gift to all of us."

No hunting or fishing spot lasts forever. They all play out eventually. Enjoy it while it lasts and appreciate it for what it is.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

GobbleGitr

Quote from: joey46 on October 01, 2021, 11:50:42 PM
Quote from: GobbleGitr on October 01, 2021, 07:31:37 PM
Seems like that is using personal data without permission to me

It's not.  Been discussed into the ground.  KY has several forums such as this.  They don't like non-res anymore than FL, MS, AL,  etc etc like non-res in their states.  Just the way things are now.
'Just the way things are' is no defense.  That kind of neutered opinion allows the loudest voices to dictate narrative and policies. 

joey46

"There are no secret spots" says it all.  Not to high jack this topic but all hopes of being able to start out on public land in the dark and WALK back into an area went by the wayside with the legalization of electric bikes on most hiking trails.  Team an electric bike with any of the GPS equipped mapping apps/ cyber scouting and that "secret" spot will be visited multiple times throughout a season.  That hidden ridge or saddle that was only known to you will now be obvious to a big population of today's public land hunters "scouting" on their computers from a thousand miles away..  I'm an old guy that started hunting the big birds in the late 1970s.  The game has rapidly changed for multiple reasons.  I'll adapt as long as I'm physically able.  Oh well - adapt or die.

I'm still amazed so many were unaware of Kentucky's telecheck system and the county by county information that is available for multiple species.   It's a wide diverse State.  Nice that a hunter planning a visit can see what areas seem to hold consistent harvest numbers.  We watch areas in the far western portions such as LBL or Clark's River but also check the county by county reports from the eastern areas of the Daniel Boone NF.

El Pavo Grande

Magazine authors, Facebook Joe, Forum Bill..... all guilty of sharing specifics.  All negligent and selfish.  All for personal gain.  But, by and large, as discussed multiple times, are not as easily accessible and to the shear number of people as YouTube.  No membership or no subscription needed.  Simple clicks of a button and MILLIONS have access to.  So when someone like Dave Owens has a video titled "Real Turkey Hunting - XYZ Public Land DIY hunting" and the video has 462,000 views it's non-comparable.  Not 4,260 views....that's nearly half of 1 million views on one lone video. 

Guess what... no one is saying they aren't like able people.  No one is saying they don't share quality hunting videos.  No one is saying don't make money off your videos.  What we are saying is that by sharing specific information they have created a monster above and beyond normal pressure on public land.  All that is asked is to quit exploiting and promoting specific states, specific regions of states, and specific public lands.  Quit showing distinguishable landmarks, NF road signs, etc.  Quit being one of the root causes for hunter opportunity declines. 

Why can't one just share a picture and a story.  "I killed this turkey at 7:00am"?  Why does it have to be, "I killed this turkey at 7:00am on XYZ WMA" or YouTube blast of "killed in North XYZ state on NF"?   PERSONAL GAIN......fame, notoriety, money, clicks, likes, etc. Prove me wrong. 

I've concluded this much.  If you see nothing at all wrong with what they have been doing you are either naive, don't hunt public at all, don't hunt much public, you can't see past your enjoyment of the videos, or you are a fan club member.  Sometimes you either on the right side of history or the wrong side of history....let's keep our heads in the sand and see where this ends up. 

As far as states providing a search of names and counties for harvests, I don't understand why that's open for the public to view.  What's the reasoning for including the hunter's name?

joey46

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: joey46 on October 02, 2021, 09:59:21 AM
Accountability.

The state has your name.  You are accountable to them when you tag a turkey.  Why does anyone on the internet, whether it be someone from KY, NY, or CA, need access with your specific name? 

THattaway

Well since you've painted us all with one paint brush I've concluded I don't give a rip what you think of YouTube. You assume anyone who doesn't hate it is in love with it. You are wrong on plenty.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

joey46

Quote from: THattaway on October 02, 2021, 10:46:53 AM
Well since you've painted us all with one paint brush I've concluded I don't give a rip what you think of YouTube. You assume anyone who doesn't hate it is in love with it. You are wrong on plenty.

And it's here to stay.  Learn to live with it and use it to your advantage.

eggshell

The link I clicked on only allowed results for the current year, is this right? I know once I log onto my account I can get a history of all my checked birds back to 1990. This is my personal history and not viewable by the public. I like to be able  to do that and review when and where I had success.  I like their telecheck system, I did not like having to drive 20-30 mile to check a bird in some areas. I don't think this will cause near as much a problem as the Youtubers. The closest you can get is a county and that's not the GPS coordinates to a honey hole, so I feel pretty safe. However; the tubers have posted specific information like gates in the background that had visible numbers. That's pretty specific.

UpperTully

No doubt some YouTube videos have given away specific locations. I get the issue many would have with that. It's legit.

However the hypocrisy is more than real here. It's not a concern of our public lands, it's a personal issue.

Garnering discord against YouTubers because their so called exploitation and profit of public lands.

Yet posts sources to further exploit the WMAs they made kills on.

I even see posts damning the non-resident traveling turkey hunter, yet their on a quest to kill in 50 states.

Exploiting and profiting off public resources happens on bigger and perfectly acceptable levels. In fact it's some peoples livelihood. Damn those charter boat captains in the Gulf Of Mexico for advertising their services and profiting off public waters. They even feature their material on Youtube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixbird

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on October 02, 2021, 10:35:56 AM
Quote from: joey46 on October 02, 2021, 09:59:21 AM
Accountability.

The state has your name.  You are accountable to them when you tag a turkey.  Why does anyone on the internet, whether it be someone from KY, NY, or CA, need access with your specific name?
That's the thing that jumps out at me with all of this. Sharing your name, etc. with the public.
There are nut-jobs in the animal rights movement who could wreak havoc on your life given that info.
And, just as a general principle, why does ANYBODY need to know your name? It's not a criminal database!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joey46

Public Land is public.  Public Information is public.  This is now entering the  :deadhorse:.  The worry about PETA knowing your identity is :TooFunny:.  So what?  " Joe Smith just shot a turkey in Trigg County - let's get him Martha".  Jeez!  What a stretch.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: eggshell on October 02, 2021, 12:25:43 PM
The link I clicked on only allowed results for the current year, is this right? I know once I log onto my account I can get a history of all my checked birds back to 1990. This is my personal history and not viewable by the public. I like to be able  to do that and review when and where I had success.  I like their telecheck system, I did not like having to drive 20-30 mile to check a bird in some areas. I don't think this will cause near as much a problem as the Youtubers. The closest you can get is a county and that's not the GPS coordinates to a honey hole, so I feel pretty safe. However; the tubers have posted specific information like gates in the background that had visible numbers. That's pretty specific.

Yeah, the link is only good for this year.

But a quick information request could likely get you someone's information for way more years than that. Link below for information request. Information requests are a service all states provide

https://fw.ky.gov/More/Pages/Open-Records-Procedures.aspx