turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Old Bob- New Turkey Hunter Just Rolled One From The Roost- Do You---

Started by quavers59, August 04, 2021, 03:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roberthyman14

Ol Bob did everything legal.  He aint going hungry.  Legal is legal.  Just because its not how someone else hunts doesn't make it wrong.  We don't all you a fly rod to catch a fish, some folks even use live bait.  All legal, all fill the freezer.

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls

Howie g

Quote from: roberthyman14 on August 12, 2021, 10:13:45 AM
Ol Bob did everything legal.  He aint going hungry.  Legal is legal.  Just because its not how someone else hunts doesn't make it wrong.  We don't all you a fly rod to catch a fish, some folks even use live bait.  All legal, all fill the freezer.

Isn't Bob short for Robert ?  Just saying u sound like a ole bob with this " if it's legal stuff "

roberthyman14

Quote from: Howie g on August 12, 2021, 10:44:58 AM

Isn't Bob short for Robert ?  Just saying u sound like a ole bob with this " if it's legal stuff "
I'm sure you only use a single shot shotgun, only hunt public land, never shot a deer on a food plot,  fly rod with barb less flies, never use live bait. You know cause you want the sport in it. 

GobbleNut

Here's my take on the two scenarios presented. 

First, the wingshot question:  A competent wingshooter using the right shotgun, choke, and load can kill an airborne turkey as consistently and as dead as shooting that same bird on the ground when using good judgement in considering the conditions at hand.  Those conditions can vary a lot, however.  The operative words in this equation, though, are "competence" and "good judgement".  Some folks are blessed with both, some with neither.  Now, if someone wants to criticize bob for the circumstances that lead up to the flying-turkey shot, that is another discussion.  The act of shooting a turkey out of the air, in itself, is of no consequence to me if the competence and judgement boxes are checked. 

Regarding bob's roost-shooting episode, I have experienced this one non-fictionally with an acquaintance that had taken up spring gobbler hunting.  Although I did not go ballistic on him for it, I think he could tell by the expression on my face that I was not pleased with what he did.  I gently coaxed him with the statement that shooting turkeys off the roost is not really what spring gobbler hunting is all about and that he would probably enjoy the experience more if he approached it differently.  That is the best I could come up with at the time.  I think it did some good,....or at least I am hoping it did. 

eggshell

My name ain't Bob, but hey in 50 years I done about anything your little mind can imagine turkey hunting. some of it Kosher and some of it not. when you start as a teenager and have no real mentor, or a mentor who is the "evil form of Bob" you develop your ethics as you go. This ole boy was raised country poor and wild game was primarily food first and sport later, so it mattered more if we took meat home than how we killed it. Now, I can proudly say the last 40 years I have shed my Bob Skin and done things more sportingly, well for the most part. I have killed a few off the wing in recent years. I did shoot one off a limb once, but I shot him on the ground first and he flew up on a low limb and was sitting there wobbling so I took no chances and closed the door on him sailing off and being lost. I would best there are some skeletons in most of our closets if we're honest....a little Bob lives in most of us.

guesswho

Open my closet door and you better be wearing a hard hat :TooFunny:   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Paulmyr

I don't care how Ole Bob hunts. It's his prerogative. If Bob does it repeatedly I  know I won't be asking him to go on any hunting trips. I may have a beer with him but no turkey hunting. Over said beer the topic may come up and I'll give it my best shot to cleanse Ole Bob of his evil ways!

I gave up going bow hunting for Elk in Colorado because they guys I went with didn't have much respect for the animals they hunted.
Shooting at turkeys on the wing is not in my arsenal, same for shooting at running deer. I owe it to the animal to take the most ethical shot I can. For me shooting at flying turkeys is not it. I think for most no explanation is needed for Bob's roost shooting.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Howie g

Quote from: roberthyman14 on August 12, 2021, 12:05:01 PM
Quote from: Howie g on August 12, 2021, 10:44:58 AM

I'm sure you only use a single shot shotgun, only hunt public land, never shot a deer on a food plot,  fly rod with barb less flies, never use live bait. You know cause you want the sport in it. 

Actually, I'm none of the things you stereo typed, I rarely hunt public , I've killed a truck load of bucks out food plots , the only fishing I do is hand noodling,  so your wrong on all accounts . I just get tired of hearing " if it's legal it's ok " all the time .  Sorry if my post offended you .    But hey , nothing illegal about my post rite ?  So I guess it's ok ...