Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Old Bob- New Turkey Hunter Just Rolled One From The Roost- Do You---

Started by quavers59, August 04, 2021, 03:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

The first thing Ol Bob should do is read the regs before pulling on the trigger, not after

and for the old school comment,

Read Tom Kelly, Simon Everett, Henry Davis and Capt. Bogardus
they all wing shot sometimes even if it wasn't the norm.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: crow on August 04, 2021, 04:14:41 PM
The first thing Ol Bob should do is read the regs before pulling on the trigger, not after

and for the old school comment,

Read Tom Kelly, Simon Everett, Henry Davis and Capt. Bogardus
they all wing shot sometimes even if it wasn't the norm.
I agree.  Many years ago(mid 1970's) as a teen age kid I recall my Dad bagging a nice fall hen with a wing shot.  I recall at the time thinking what a great shot.  He later related to me that she saw him at the last moment and took to the air and he would have rather taken her on the ground but things do not always go as planned.  To this day it's the only turkey I remember seeing shot on the wing.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

quavers59

I did write that the regs were read " before"  he pulled the  Trigger Crow. Read again..
    As for myself- very Ethical in the Turkey woods with Skills equal to any here..
   Also like Môki hêre- a multiple Turkey Book Author.
   I enjoy the varied replys . Although some are Crapping out of boredom.
   I can tell that some responding are not Fall Turkey Hunters.

THattaway

"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Crghss

Quote from: ol bob on August 04, 2021, 09:09:40 AM
Ol Bob is a member here, and has always said if its legal and you don't have a problem with it go for it and don't worry about what anyone says. If everyone went by theses rules this would be a more civil place.

Truth
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

crow

Quote from: quavers59 on August 04, 2021, 04:42:43 PM
  I did write that the regs were read " before"  he pulled the  Trigger Crow. Read again..
    As for myself- very Ethical in the Turkey woods with Skills equal to any here..
   Also like Môki hêre- a multiple Turkey Book Author.
   I enjoy the varied replys . Although some are Crapping out of boredom.
   I can tell that some responding are not Fall Turkey Hunters.

I did, still looks to me like Old Bob is back home brushing up on the regs after the fact to make sure it's safe to post pics on face tee gram. While his wife is basting a turkey

Happy

If this is all hypothetical:
As ol' Bob nears the gobblers roost tree he hears a slight noise. Turning his head slightly he sees a man standing beside him. How he got there he has no idea. The man has a striking bearing, reminiscent of a combination of Thor and Brad Pitt. The man explains in a low tone that he is already on the gobbler and he would like a little space. Ol' Bob politely apologizes and turns back. As he walks away he decides to find the fellows truck and see what the outcome is. The only truck he can find is a 1985 square bodied chevy in mint condition. Assuming it is his he waits around a bit. Not 45 minutes later the gentleman comes walking out of the woods with a 32lb eastern with 2" spurs and twin 15" beards. He is amazed because he never heard a shot. Upon talking to the fellow he finds out that the hunter called him in with his natural voice and broke his neck with a stick. They bs for a while and then part ways. Ol' Bob is puzzled because he realizes he isn't even upset about the turkey and feels lucky to have met such an amazing and awsome hunter. He hopes the fellow gets it mounted, it was an amazing specimen of a turkey.
Maybe one day I will invite ol' Bob over to take a look at it nestled on the wall next to my nobel prize, letters from Tom Brady and Hugh Hefner telling me I am the man and my uncashed checks from Bill gates and Jeffrey Bezos for getting them started in life.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

eggshell

Happy,

You really need to keep those checks in a safe place. Tell ya what, just autograph them on the back and send them to me and I'll keep them safe. For double security I'll give one to gobblenut to keep safe. We'll meet in SD next spring and cash them, no no I mean secure them.

In the mean time Old Bob and I have taken up fishing. For an old guy he can sling a stick of dynamite pretty far. I did have to school him on the ethics of fishing though. "Bob, we don't dip up the carp and trash fish".  :OGturkeyhead:

Howie g

Better keep tabs on ole bob , if he is that slippery ? He may be slipping in your back door at home while your at work !  Ole Bob ...

Happy

Quote from: eggshell on August 05, 2021, 06:41:55 AM
Happy,

You really need to keep those checks in a safe place. Tell ya what, just autograph them on the back and send them to me and I'll keep them safe. For double security I'll give one to gobblenut to keep safe. We'll meet in SD next spring and cash them, no no I mean secure them.

In the mean time Old Bob and I have taken up fishing. For an old guy he can sling a stick of dynamite pretty far. I did have to school him on the ethics of fishing though. "Bob, we don't dip up the carp and trash fish".  :OGturkeyhead:
As everyone knows, if your gonna lie, lie big. Be careful with that dynamite eggshell some of them fuses are a touch quicker than the others

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Zobo

That Bob doesn't know how to use a turkey call is troubling to me. He's a crack wingshot and dead eye with a rifle; these skills show respect and care for his quarry. They allow for clean kills delivered in a safe, ethical way. A way that is time honored and accepted in hunting circles. Much time and care was taken to learn and fine tune these skill sets. Grabing a shot gun and blowing away a turkey is not showing this great game animal the same respect he has showen the grouse, the woodcock and the deer. That's my problem with your hypothetical scenario.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Howie g

Quote from: guesswho on August 06, 2021, 08:06:52 AM
Ol' Bob needs a Youtube channel
He does already , it's called "catman " ,  can't call , and limb shots !
Lol ... sorry Catman , sometimes I just can't help myself !!

Greg Massey

Quote from: Howie g on August 06, 2021, 09:13:09 AM
Quote from: guesswho on August 06, 2021, 08:06:52 AM
Ol' Bob needs a Youtube channel
He does already , it's called "catman " ,  can't call , and limb shots !
Lol ... sorry Catman , sometimes I just can't help myself !!
This is so funny.. i cant stop laughing ..  :TooFunny:

Spitten and drummen

Next thing you know ole Bob will be reaping , corn feeding and sniping them with his rifle. Sorry Bob but you sound like a man who only cares about the kill not the hunt.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE