OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

sighting in with reflex sight

Started by Old Timer, April 12, 2022, 04:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublelung

sight in about 20-25 feet away from target with low brass 8's then check final setting with your chosen loads at 30 or 40. It'll save you lots of money and shoulder thump.

Turkeyfever

I do exactly what double lung described, I usually just have to shoot one of the loads that I am hunting with. I shoot Federal game loads and Federal TSS. Usually once the game loads are in, I do not have to adjust any further  for the TSS.

bwhana

It's been stated in other threads, but fits here too in case you run into this problem.  We had 2 new Burris FF3s that seemed to max out on dot adjustment.  It would click and move, but felt like thr screw was in a bind, and the POI was not moving as far as it should.  We ended up putting the guns in a sight vise and moving the dot the opposite direction really far, then again in the right direction past where it needed to go, and then back to the correct spot.  That freed up whatever was in a bind and the POI and POA became the same as expected.  It happened for L/R on one and U/D on the other, but same solution fixed then both.  If you get a new or used red dot of any brand, I highly recommend moving your dot to the extents in all directions and then count the clicks from on end to the other, then move it back half the clicks to reset and start from the center of the adjustment range.

Matt76cmich

This has got me in the ballpark quick:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0785PCKDJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

Take a cheap target load at 10 yards or so to fine tune, then I'll take a shot at 40 with TSS, make small adjustment if needed, and then take 1 more shot at 40 with TSS to confirm. I might use 3 shells of TSS (or 4 if it's being stubborn) to zero in at 40.  Now testing out multiple different chokes is where things can get pricey for me. 

Now with my Kingslayer I can't remember offhand how many clicks for 1". Maybe 4 or so, but I'd be guessing from last year.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

lunghit

Just sighted in a new choke and FF3 today. Sighted in Number 8's at 12 yards then moved to 20 with a TSS. That was perfect so I shot one at 40 and that was also perfect.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Old Timer

Quote from: lunghit on April 14, 2022, 05:21:11 PM
Just sighted in a new choke and FF3 today. Sighted in Number 8's at 12 yards then moved to 20 with a TSS. That was perfect so I shot one at 40 and that was also perfect.
I`m happy for you. Being from NY also #8 is small as we can go. I will try again next week hopefully. I`m using Apex 20ga 3inch 1 5/8 0z tss. Carlson .575 choke. Pattern does not seem to be dense as I like. My buddy thought it was good though. I`ll get there thanks.

Neill_Prater

How much a click moves POI is simple math. Most, but not all, are 1 inch at 100 yards. Fifty yards, half an inch, 25 yards a quarter inch.

That is correct isn't it? Long time since I was in school. LOL

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Marc

Quote from: joey46 on April 12, 2022, 06:36:29 PM
It's a shame that sighting in is a $100 event with tss.
Sight it in with cheap lead loads, and check with TSS when finished.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.