OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

sighting in with reflex sight

Started by Old Timer, April 12, 2022, 04:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer

shooting a mossberg sa-20. using a swampfox kingslayer reflex sight. shoots dead center with winchester supremes. I shot a apex 20ga #8 tss im about 3 inches high @40 yards. Figured i would get some advice before i shoot another 10 spot down range. My question is how many of the large hash marks do i lower it per inch. Not familiar with adjustments on this. Advice would be appreciated Thanks

guesswho

I wouldn't fire another shot.  Put the gun in a vise or some other way to hold it in place.   Hold it steady.   Put the sight on the original POA.   Then have someone turn the adjustment screw until your dot is in the center of POI.   You can do it yourself, but easier if you have someone turn the adjustment for you while you hold the gun perfectly steady.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

btomlin

I put a pc of blue painters tape on center of my POI(also have one on my POA) so it is easy to get dot moved to the correct mark.  With gun on sand bags or in vice, I put screwdriver in adjustment slot.  While holding gun still on POA, I do like GW and adjust dot to POI blue tape I put on paper.  You can watch the dot go right to mark while turning the dial. 

Happy

My kingslayer is real touchy. I fired 4-5 shells at 40 getting it real close and still wound up firing one from 20 yards just to confirm. Guesswho has some solid advice to cut down on shells. Provided the first shot was held on the money.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Old Timer

Quote from: Happy on April 12, 2022, 05:55:13 PM
My kingslayer is real touchy. I fired 4-5 shells at 40 getting it real close and still wound up firing one from 20 yards just to confirm. Guesswho has some solid advice to cut down on shells. Provided the first shot was held on the money.
Happy do you remember how many clicks for an inch at 40?

joey46

It's a shame that sighting in is a $100 event with tss.

Old Timer

Joey, I'm not gonna let that happen.

paboxcall

Quote from: guesswho on April 12, 2022, 04:17:28 PM
I wouldn't fire another shot.  Put the gun in a vise or some other way to hold it in place.   Hold it steady.   Put the sight on the original POA.   Then have someone turn the adjustment screw until your dot is in the center of POI.   You can do it yourself, but easier if you have someone turn the adjustment for you while you hold the gun perfectly steady.

:z-winnersmiley:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Happy

For me it was about 3. I didn't have to move mine much at all to see a difference.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Old Timer

Cutt

When I sighted my 20 gauge, with the Kingslayer I zeroed it at 20 yards with cheaper Federal Grand Slam loads, rather than my TSS loads. Once zeroed at 20 with cheaper loads I then shot a couple TSS at 20 and tweaked the sight to POI while sand bagged, which wasn't much, so couldn't tell you the number of clicks for an inch.

Then I shot a couple TSS at 30 and 40 to verify, I lucked out as the Grand Slam loads were not much different at 20 yards, than the TSS.

2flyfish4

Old Timer

Quote from: Cutt on April 12, 2022, 08:44:14 PM
When I sighted my 20 gauge, with the Kingslayer I zeroed it at 20 yards with cheaper Federal Grand Slam loads, rather than my TSS loads. Once zeroed at 20 with cheaper loads I then shot a couple TSS at 20 and tweaked the sight to POI while sand bagged, which wasn't much, so couldn't tell you the number of clicks for an inch.

Then I shot a couple TSS at 30 and 40 to verify, I lucked out as the Grand Slam loads were not much different at 20 yards, than the TSS.
Cutt, I did that with Winchester Supremes, shooting about 4 inches high with the Apex. I`ll go back to the range and double check before I make adjustments.

vt35mag

Quote from: guesswho on April 12, 2022, 04:17:28 PM

This is what I did when sighting my Venom in.

Old Timer

I keep hearing this. I will try it. Thanks!