OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Who is hunting and how is it going?  (Read 5378 times)

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
Re: Who is hunting and how is it going?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 09:34:40 AM »
Saturday it was even better, as fa as gobbling went. i heard 15 different birds. they are henned up bad right now so its a waiting game and try to get ahead of them game. Well was on birds all day but they stayed 3 steps ahead of me it seemed like. Hunted till quitting time. Went home and developed a plan. Plan fell through when I seen a flashlight coming through the woods. So I snuck down into roost area and waited. Yesterday very few gobbles, only heard 3 in that particular location and they didn't gobble great. Heard 44 different types of owl hoots, lol, so I knew other people heard them too. They quit early and it got real windy so i started back towards truck. Stopped a few times, called, nothing. Got bout 80 yards from the truck, which I could see plain as day, and called and 2 answered me immediately 50 yards towards my truck. I just melted to the ground, I could see them not 20 feet from my truck, coming. I managed to sit on a pointed rock, nice, and a small depression leaning me backwards. they skit around some brush and gobble to my hard right 35 yards. I try to finagle myself around, on the rock, and swing right. Now I have a sapling in the way. So I pulled my gun back and put it on the other side of it, in between the branches. I'm wobbling, I'm shaking from trying to hold myself up from the stupid rock and depression. I can see their fans behind a root wad and their heads when they gobble. One breaks and comes out, still in the brush a little, but not his head. i pulled trigger and 2 go flying off. I thought what the hell. After throwing a slight fit, I called 4 minutes later and they both gobbled. So I took off after them like Forrest Gump. I called twice and they answered but thought they were heading up the hill. Not, they were coming to my call and we met on a little half ridge. Game Over!!
Total i heard 28 different birds in 3 days, figured out where they go, dealt with the freakin public and their unethical ways, and still didn't get a dang bird. They things are tough right now but that's why I love to chase em. It was successful to me even if I didn't get a bird. Hadn't heard gobbling like that in years. Luck for me there's only 2 little roads that take you back to them, unless you walk a long ways, and I'm on one of them, lol. But don't know how much pressure it gets during the week. Guess I'll keep trying> 

TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
 Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 07:15:04 AM »
Keep at ot turkey harvestor. You have a good attitude and have done your homework, should pay off eventually.

I have heard those unique/ different owl sounds, many times. Lol. Everytime I hear an owl in the woods the 1st thing I think is, is it a real owl or a hunter.

Offline birdman67

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 06:58:38 PM »
Good luck TH! I know you will get one soon! You sound like you have figured them out, just gotta close the deal!
Loving God's Creation!

Offline backwater

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 06:37:34 AM »

I have heard those unique/ different owl sounds, many times. Lol. Everytime I hear an owl in the woods the 1st thing I think is, is it a real owl or a hunter.
[/quote]

That’s funny.    How many times have we had that conversation?  Lol

Good luck guys

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2018, 09:21:58 PM »
Just noticed some birds where taken.
Congrats.
Lets hear some stories.

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2018, 03:54:13 PM »
Got me a Jake this morning on the last day. Pics and story tomorrow when I get to school
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA