OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Who is hunting and how is it going?  (Read 5375 times)

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
Who is hunting and how is it going?
« on: March 18, 2018, 05:19:04 PM »
Backwater and I hunted the last 2 days. We got on birds this morning, but not close enough. It is suppose to rain tomorrow and some bad storms expected on Tuesday, not sure if we will make it back out until Friday. Toms have been with hens, hopefully we get on the right bird.

It was great to hear some gobbling today. We had a real warm February and the 1st couple weeks of March have been real cold.
I did have these guys stop bye, looking good for next yeat.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 05:35:15 PM by bornagain64 »

Offline birdman67

Re: Who is hunting and how is it going?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 06:58:52 AM »
Season opened the 15th and I am yet to hear a gobble. I scouted all my food plots and have hens in 3 of them. I located a couple gobblers and a group of hens that are using a plot in an open area. I watched them yesterday from about 500 yards away. I’m gonnna try to get in there today after work if they don’t beat me to it. We’ll see how it goes.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 02:23:47 PM by birdman67 »
Loving God's Creation!

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 08:49:42 AM »
Good Luck Guys!!!
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
 Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Offline birdman67

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 06:48:01 AM »
Well the turkeys have not been back to my food plot since I saw them the other day. I took off work today and I hope they close this morning. Time will tell guys!
Loving God's Creation!

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 05:55:07 PM »
Went out to another wma this weekend. We did hear birds gobble on the roost, but where no where near them.
We also heard a shot fairly close on Friday, so we think someone shot 1 of the Toms we where watching.
My best on, still on public land is a couple weeks away; hoping it goes better than the 1st 2 weekends.

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 07:15:36 AM »
Well guys, my season is done and I did not get a bird. I have lots of excuses/ reasons, but it just did not happen.
It is gonna be a LONG off season and a very bad taste in my mouth until next spring.
Good luck to everyone still hunting and stay safe.

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 02:12:05 PM »
I took off the next 2 Fridays so I could hunt this new public land. Tryin to get the wife a bird first, then I'll try my hand. Had to leave one yesterday, gobbling his fool head off so I wasn't late for work. That didn't set well with me but what do ya do, lol. Good luck guys. Bornagain, get a Mo tag and I'll put you on some hard gobbling, big holler gobblers!!

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 06:09:46 PM »
Turkey Harvester Thanks for the offer, maybe some day. Sounds like you found them, now you just have to finish it.
Same as last year, getting the wife a bird 1st? That is cool, my wife has no desire to go hunting.

Who else is still hunting?

Offline Dmason3

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 02:57:55 PM »
I’m still waiting to go! I can finally hunt this Friday. Lots of reports of little to absolutely zero gobbling. Hope things pick up this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ruination

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 03:37:45 PM »
Finally got out this morning, had a bird coming in but I set up a little further than I thought.  Bird got to about 100 yards from me before someone else did me the favor of shooting it, or at least at it.  Pretty sure he missed because 5 minutes later he finally decides to do some calling.  Frustrating stuff.
.410 Favors the Bold

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 04:43:43 PM »
Ruination I fell your pain. Public land hunting is tough. Sounds like he slid in on you, if he was not calling until after he shot?
Dealing with other hunters is 1 thing, but dealing with a hunter trying to kill a bird someone else is working is another thing.

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 08:45:31 AM »
Exactly with what I'm dealing with lol. But, they cant be everywhere. 

Offline ruination

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 11:38:44 AM »
Yea he definitely heard the bird and me and went to cut it off.  The dumb thing wouldn't shut up though so I almost expected someone else to try and call against me.  Sound was travelling real far.
.410 Favors the Bold

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 07:18:19 PM »
Boy they hammered it this morning. Heard 8 different gobblers, 4 on property I can't hunt. Started with this bird at 5:35 am and finally got around him at 9:50!! Woods really open. He has 4 hens with him and they are all coming from a creek bottom, slightly up the hill where I was sitting. Has a large finger that comes down into creek bed. All of a sudden, the 4 hens became alert looking farther up the hill. Then the runnoft,lol, around the bottom of the finger. I turn and look and here comes a dude. I waved and whistled and he started to back out but decided to try and circle me. So I got up and started walking right towards him. Be bails, but now it's 10:30, hot and windy as crap. I sit for over an hour, nothing. Decided to walk back to towards truck and stopped and called 80 yards from where I was sitting, and boom. He gobbled about 70-80 yards, twice, and then nothing. I skirted the ridge he was walking below. He's done this twice, exact same route. So guess who will be sitting in the creek bottom before daylight,lol.
I needed him to take bout 10 more steps forward and a few to the right to clear brush. Gotta love public land,lol. Best morning so far for gobbling.

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 12:36:59 PM »
Keep at it guys.
Public land hunting can suck. Most people will leave and stay put of your way, but some just do not care about anybody else.

How is everyone elses hunt going?