turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 535

Started by IORIO52, April 18, 2011, 09:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IORIO52

I just won a Mossberg 535 at a gun raffle and was hoping for some help on where to start with chokes and loads. It has a 22in barrel and came with a factory .670 accu choke (lead only). I have some extra boxes of hevi #7's and hevi mag blends laying around from patterning my SBEII so I would like to start with those. Any choke recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

SumToy

You want a good kill pattern go with a 658 to 660.  If you want it to be a numbers gun drop it to a 645 to 650.  :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

scastle

not trying to be a wiseguy but wouldnt a 645 to 650 throw a better pattern,thus a better killing pattern??

SumToy

Quote from: scastle on April 18, 2011, 09:56:30 PM
not trying to be a wiseguy but wouldnt a 645 to 650 throw a better pattern,thus a better killing pattern??

Yup but it is one of them things that the 660 will have a good even kill pattern that will kill out to 50 yards or so.  Now the smaller choke will put more shot on target but will have the bigger chance to miss.  It is one of them deals how dead is dead.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

bowhunter84

Quote from: SumToy on April 18, 2011, 10:10:53 PM
Quote from: scastle on April 18, 2011, 09:56:30 PM

Yup but it is one of them things that the 660 will have a good even kill pattern that will kill out to 50 yards or so.  Now the smaller choke will put more shot on target but will have the bigger chance to miss.  It is one of them deals how dead is dead.
:agreed:

njdevilsb

Here's my results from last week shooting a 535 with a 20" barrel in about 60 degree temperatures.  I was shooting Hevi 13 3.5" #7's using a SSX .643 choke and an Indian Creek .660.  

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,7167.0.html

lking

My PG .670 put up better numbers every time as opposed to the JH .660.  Could be a choke thing moreso than a diameter thing.  This was shooting Hevi 3x2x7's.  265 pellets vs. 225 at 40.

IORIO52

Thanks for the help everyone.

SpringFever

Quote from: njdevilsb on April 18, 2011, 11:16:12 PM
Here's my results from last week shooting a 535 with a 20" barrel in about 60 degree temperatures.  I was shooting Hevi 13 3.5" #7's using a SSX .643 choke and an Indian Creek .660.  

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,7167.0.html

Same results for me. I too have a 535 with 20" barrel. I got 298 at 40yds in a 10" circle. Im thinking I could do a little better had I cleaned my barrel between shots, which I didnt. Either way, I am happy with those numbers!