turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

cost to tap and drill receiver?

Started by Full strut, January 19, 2017, 04:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Full strut

so i just got off the phone with my local gun smith and he wants $80 to tap and drill two holes into an 870 express receiver. is that too far off or a fair price?

TheSportsman

rem 300

I paid $25 for 2 holes in my benelli M2 20 gauge

Full strut

Those are both extremely reasonable. I thought $80 sounded excessive. Those 870 receivers arnt even half as hard as an m2 receiver with crio treatment

rem 300

Full strut

Yeah I'm gonna keep looking and see what I can find

Smooth_Operator

It does seem high for an 870. I was charged $50 for my Benelli, but my 'smith had to buy a new bit in order to drill and tap it because none of the bits he had would work on my receiver...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

SumToy

That is high.  Now by the time you send it and get it back from someone you may have that in it.   It is a sad world because it has the word gun the $$$ goes way up.  I know tools built by same folks be 20 to 40 normal you go to the gun side it 120 to 150 same tool. lol
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Full strut

This is a drop off, so no mailing involved and had multiple guns worked by this gentlemen. I won't be going back out of spite but I feel that the lack of competent gun smiths in central Arkansas has something to do with the high prices...

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Full strut on January 19, 2017, 04:02:47 PM
so i just got off the phone with my local gun smith and he wants $80 to tap and drill two holes into an 870 express receiver. is that too far off or a fair price?

It's been my experience that prices vary from one area to another and it's hard to compare one smith's work with another as well. Finding a competent gunsmith can be difficult and at times when you find one, he can be so backed-up that it takes a long time to get work done. If you know this man's work and it's good, it may well be worth the money to have it done. Otherwise, you may be dealing with someone you don't know and maybe have to ship your gun as well. Just my thoughts.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Full strut

Spring Fever

I stopped by a local machine shop and the guy did for me while I was there in about 15min.
He said no worries but I gave him a $20 for his troubles.
You might want to try that.
Just make sure you bring a template of hole placement with you, I even brought the tap needed just in case.

Full strut

I couldn't get that lucky if I tried haha

CntrlPA

$15 a hole is what I pay.There are several good gunsmiths in my area though that could be a reason for the competitive pricing.

yella yelper

Quote from: Full strut on January 20, 2017, 05:57:03 PM
This is a drop off, so no mailing involved and had multiple guns worked by this gentlemen. I won't be going back out of spite but I feel that the lack of competent gun smiths in central Arkansas has something to do with the high prices...
Call Mack's over in Stuttgart. They were still a little high but cheaper than that. I think they quoted me about $50

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk