OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ditching the vest.

Started by drenalinld, March 04, 2016, 11:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damson

I got a MOLLE belt with a couple pouches from the army surplus store.  Holds a few calls.  Sling my chair over my shoulder.  The vest seat cushion was getting really uncomfortable after an hour or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

Ditched the vest years ago and went to a Badlands Hip Pack, wouldn't even look at a vest anymore...
Like that it sits on my side and has waist belt and should strap.

MK M GOBL

Crghss

So most you using a bag don't carry decoys I assume?

I tried a back pack this season so far. Don't like getting another vest today.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Magdump

I am still a new turkey hunter (only doing it for 4 years) and this thread really got me thinking.

I first started with a big vest with a built in kickstand (Tater).  I would usually take it off when i got to my spot so i was more able to move/twist around if needed or if i was gonna be in a chair or seat.

Then i went to a more minimalist set up, the Long Spur pack.   This is what I currently use but i still usually take that rig off most of the time so i can rotate in my position more easily if i need to twist to shoot a bird that comes in from an unexpected direction.  Even in a low camp chair i feel much more maneuverable with it off.

Since i take the thing off most of the time anyway, why not just go even more minimalist?  I did not know these turkey purse/bag things even existed until i saw this thread but i am going to try it.  Just ordered an Avian-X Turkey Sling Pack.  Will use that for the rest of this season.   Thanks for the education as always guys!

DrDirtNap

Glenda Green makes a real nice custom turkey hunting satchel as well.   Been using mine now a couple of years

Dtrkyman

Quote from: Magdump on March 20, 2019, 06:35:21 AM
I am still a new turkey hunter (only doing it for 4 years) and this thread really got me thinking.

I first started with a big vest with a built in kickstand (Tater).  I would usually take it off when i got to my spot so i was more able to move/twist around if needed or if i was gonna be in a chair or seat.

Then i went to a more minimalist set up, the Long Spur pack.   This is what I currently use but i still usually take that rig off most of the time so i can rotate in my position more easily if i need to twist to shoot a bird that comes in from an unexpected direction.  Even in a low camp chair i feel much more maneuverable with it off.

Since i take the thing off most of the time anyway, why not just go even more minimalist?  I did not know these turkey purse/bag things even existed until i saw this thread but i am going to try it.  Just ordered an Avian-X Turkey Sling Pack.  Will use that for the rest of this season.   Thanks for the education as always guys!
Post up some pics when you get it

Magdump