turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi-13 #7 Penetration????

Started by jonhaga, March 27, 2011, 03:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonhaga

Hey guys I  just wanted to throw something out here for discussion. I just shot my 870SM with H-13 7's which are 3.5 shells. My target was some 4x4 cardboard a buddy had acquired but it's serveral pieces pressed togehter and is 3/4 in thick. At 40yds I had a excellent pattern but probally only 25% of the load went through the cardboard. Any thoughts on this. My friend shot a 3in Win. XX (Red Shell) #6's and had a substantial about more pass throughs?  

Franchi I-12

I would like to here some discussion on this also. I have some of these shells ordered & haven't got to shoot them yet. Seems that would be of some concern if it's not going through the cardboard !! :gobble:

ILIKEHEVI-13

jonhaga

Don't get me wrong last year I killed a gobbler at 46yds! But I couldn't understand the 2 guys shooting lead today had more pellets to pass through especially on a percentage basis.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well lead won't pattern like hevishot and from what I have seen it won't penetrate better either.  

This was another test that I used to see why I like #7's.  When lead will pattern like that, I will switch back.  

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,2410.0.html

BigPeck215

dont underestimate the strength of compressed cardboard, or even compressed paper for that matter in terms of resisting penetration, i have personally seen a 4" thick phone book stop a .357 mag at point blank range out of a 6" ruger super blackhawk   

WyoHunter

I wouldn't worry about penetration from what I've seen.  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

K-ZONE

I have been shooting hevi shot since it first came out.The first geese i pulled the trigger on were bout 50-55yds with Rem 3-11/2-5's they got Literarly crushed.When i cleaned the birds and saw that the 5's passed through the feathers breast meat/bone/meat and stopped at the far side skin i said "WOW gotta try these for turkey" been using HTLever since.Last year the first two birds i killed were with 7's 32yds & 52yds.The 52yd shot was like he got whacked with a golf club i only took the shot knowin i had enough pattern to get me there .When i cut the head/neck i found shot that passed completly through...crushed bone and created tons of trauma.I have never had a problem with penetration with any HTL loads

Cutt

I read and see a lot of posts with good penetration from the Hevi.

Although on the other hand, I read and see many that say poor pentration, as compared to lead?

Here's one copied from another board, are these just nay sayers, that fudge the results?

Quote:
Was kinda board today so decided to try this again... I really didnt have much around the house to use as test material... I found two pieces of 1/2" fire board that has a very thin gauge metal wrapped around it... It is used to set behind your wood stove for wall protection from the heat...

Anyhow i only had two sheets so i opted to set them out at a measured 50 yards... I shot one with Win HV 3.5" 2oz #4's going 1300fps threw a Kicks GT...

The other was shot with a Hevi 13 3.5" 1 3/4oz of #6's 1090fps threw a jelly head choke...

The Win #4's all went threw the fire board hitting the sheet metal and leaving very pronounced dents...

The Hevi13 #6's all the pellets DID NOT pass threw the fire board and the dents WERE NOT as pronounced as the #4's...

This is the second test that I've done and both times the Win HV #4's out performed the Hevi13...

I dont know what to say but I will not be using them...

THE ONLY ADVANTAGE I SEE IS PATTERN DENSITY...

30_06

I admit I have not done any penetration tests with Hevi #7's other than shooting turkeys with them, and they did their job perfectly.

Having said that the person that Cutt referenced has continually bashed any type of heavier than lead loads, even going so far as to say that Hevi-13 #6's bounced off of a turkey he/she shot. Needless to say I don't put too much stock in his/her opinion, or even his/her testing for that matter.

Cutt

Quote from: 30_06 on March 29, 2011, 09:34:31 PM
Having said that the person that Cutt referenced has continually bashed any type of heavier than lead loads, even going so far as to say that Hevi-13 #6's bounced off of a turkey he/she shot. Needless to say I don't put too much stock in his/her opinion, or even his/her testing for that matter.

Thanks for pointing that out, so a definite Nay Sayer.

knightrider

ILIKEHEVI-13

I'm here to tell you that Hevi-13 #7 loads will penetrate better than lead 5's from what I have seen. 

cannonball

Tom Foolery

Quote from: 30_06 on March 29, 2011, 09:34:31 PM
even going so far as to say that Hevi-13 #6's bounced off of a turkey he/she shot.

What chu talkin bout Willis?