OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

email from kicks

Started by knightrider, March 07, 2011, 08:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightrider

i sent kicks an email asking about shooting hevi through my choke and they said hevi shot is harder than steel,and harder than the win extended range and that is why they dont reccomend shhoting them through their chokes. :begging: makes no sense to me, here is there exact answer from the email, The hevi shot pellets  are twice as hard as steel shot while the xtended range is a softer pellet.

Jourdan_D

It's denser then steel but not harder......

Like i've said.  i've put plenty of hevi through a kicks without an issue.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Kicks's is one of the beefiest chokes that I know of.  They are really thick where the ports are toward the top of the choke.   If any choke was Hevi-Shot approved to be the strongest choke probably out there, it would be the Kick's chokes.  Charlie Boswell needs to get with the times and just say that Kick's chokes are perfectly safe to shoot Hevi-Shot.  Come on Charlie, I know you got it in ya.  That's coming from my knowledge of cutting car parts for 11.5yrs.  Kicks' chokes are made from 17-4PH stainless steel.  That's the same grade steel that other choke manufacturers are using and making Hevi-Shot approved chokes.  No choke that I am aware of is heavier than the Kick's.  That only means that more steel is left on them in the machining process.  

gatrkyhntr70

Ive shot lots of nitros, hevi in the kicks chokes with no problems just great patterns!
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

Tom Foolery

Quote from: Jourdan_D on March 07, 2011, 08:23:44 PM
It's denser then steel but not harder......

Like i've said.  i've put plenty of hevi through a kicks without an issue.

Same here, I have shot a bunch of hevi through mine.  I called them one day to ask and I was told the Win Xtended Range were ok.  I was also told that Nitro hevi shot was ok for Kicks but Rem Hevi or Hevi shot were not recommended.  When Hevi13 came out I called them back, Win Xtended was good but now no Nitro hevi, Rem hevi or Hevi 13 because they will all destroy chokes. 

If I had a Kicks and I wanted to shoot Hevi, I would wear it out.  My Kicks .660 shoots Hevi13 #6's very nice.

savduck

I live down the road from Kicks, maybe an hour. I have owned a pile of Kicks and CNCs. I used to go to their shop and shoot  when ever I got a new gun and needed a new tube. They have examples at their shop of their tubes that were shot with shells that they said not to shoot through them.

I myself have spoken with Mr Boswell on several occasions and his son on another occassion about this subject. They shoot the winchesters extended range, but continue to stand firm against Hevi shot. I think they have seen the proof and just advise against it for safety reason. Like russian roulette. You never know which choke is gonna blow. If your business could be sued for not disclosing an unsafe practise wouldnt you advise others about the safety aspect?

Manufactures make their recomendations based on sound reasearch and THOUSANDS of rounds through their product. If they say not to use it, its probably wise to follow those suggestions.
Georgia Boy

Skeeterbait

I shot Kicks chokes for several years.  When XRHD came out I called and asked about them.  The answer I got was that XRHD and Nitro were better buffered than the Hevi13.  They were concerned that the hevi13 would pass through the choke as a more solid mass and overstress the choke.

SKFOOTER

If the truth be know, he's in bed with Winchester!!  That's why he says no go to Hevi-Shot.

WildSpur

I think Kick's is nuts for not offering a Hevi Shot compatible choke in this day and age.

I do remember reading here about the DMI scale (I think that is what it was).  I remember the Winchester ER was 100 and H13 was 200.  Not sure if that is what Kick's is talking about?

Cluck more, yelp less

S.C.C

Quote from: WildSpur on March 09, 2011, 01:02:25 AM
I think Kick's is nuts for not offering a Hevi Shot compatible choke in this day and age.

I do remember reading here about the DMI scale (I think that is what it was).  I remember the Winchester ER was 100 and H13 was 200.  Not sure if that is what Kick's is talking about?
:agreed: :icon_thumright: :thanks:

turkeytromp

I have a kicks GT .660 choke and have shot several hevi13 3" #6 through it without any problems, Its not my choice of choke for my gun but it never seemed to hurt it one bit.

TWOWITHONE

I e-mailed them yrs ago about this same question like 5 yrs back easy and they said dont use hevi-shot. I use Winchester ER #6 shot no problems yet.