OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal HW's and Indian Creek

Started by Hardtime_NC, March 06, 2011, 03:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardtime_NC

Why do they say not to use this combo???
Theres no dollar sign on a piece of mind!

Gobble!

they strip the wad off shells which is the exact opposite of how the federal shells are intended to be used

Hardtime_NC

Quote from: Gobble! on March 06, 2011, 06:36:54 PM
they strip the wad off shells which is the exact opposite of how the federal shells are intended to be used

This may be true but I just put 207 shots in a 10" circle at 40 yds with a 20ga.  Blew the Tempest away!

turkeytromp

Quote from: Spuriosity on March 06, 2011, 03:42:55 PM
Fed HW shells employ the flight control wad, which is not designed to be shot through ported chokes. The ports on IC and other ported chokes interfere with the deployment of the air brakes of the FC wad, sometimes leading to poor patterns and even choke damage.

:agreed:

runngun

Next time you may get one big hole on the target, WHERE IT SNATCHED THE CHOKE OUT OF THE BARREL. Good luck.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

SKFOOTER

The original Indian Creek tubes that did not have the wad catcher rings in them are ideal for the Federal HW loads.   If you can find one. :z-guntootsmiley:

Hardtime_NC

Quote from: runngun on March 06, 2011, 07:35:04 PM
Next time you may get one big hole on the target, WHERE IT SNATCHED THE CHOKE OUT OF THE BARREL. Good luck.

Anyone seen this happen?

mcgruff1533

Quote from: Hardtime_NC on March 06, 2011, 08:00:21 PM
Quote from: runngun on March 06, 2011, 07:35:04 PM

Anyone seen this happen?

I haven't seen it, nor do I want to see it.    Indian Creek is very clear not to shoot Federal Heavyweight shot with the Flite Control wad.     I'm sure they have their reasons for making the suggestion, and I fully plan on heeding their warning.

runngun

Did not have it happen to me. Saw a photo on another site and the guy said he shot FC thru it, and the result was not good.  The choke mfg's say not to shoot it thru their chokes, so that would be what the FBI calls a clue. lol
Love the FC's thru a fixed choke gun they shoot good that way.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Hardtime_NC

Actually is was shot by accident today because we were shooting several different shells through several different chokes and the pattern was so good I  figured I would try and see what the problems could be.  Im not planning on shooting anything that could harm anyone or my gun just trying to get the facts.

Hardtime_NC

And now I have the facts.  I talked to Federal and Indian Creek today.  They both said that there would be NO HARM in shooting these to together.  IC simply puts that statement on their site because Federal claims their FC wad is not designed to shot good through a wad stripping choke.

Thanks

hookedspur

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 06, 2011, 07:39:32 PM
The original Indian Creek tubes that did not have the wad catcher rings in them are ideal for the Federal HW loads.   If you can find one. :z-guntootsmiley:
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions