OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

optics vs sights

Started by gob09, November 14, 2011, 06:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gob09

i im the proud owner of a a brand new moss. 935 synthetic stock 3.5" chamber 26" barrel
i have used some of the cheap truglo rifle sights which are junk and if you barely bump the front sight it will break off never to be of use again and the hi-viz which are ok
the new 935 is drilled  and tapped for an optical sight or scope
what i would like to know is what everyone thinks of reddot type sights good and bad

Spring Creek Calls

The red dots are great till you get in the bright sunlight.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

gobbler74

Quote from: Gobblez on November 14, 2011, 06:33:02 PM
The red dots are great till you get in the bright sunlight.
Unless your running a trijicon which adjusts to solar strength or self adjusting sight like a FF2. Ive used red dots for a long while and havent had any trouble with direct sun. some dots come with solar shades like the burris speed dots which will show up unless your staring at the sun. Multiple brightness settings on those with a 3 moa dot. I would look at the tubular style red dots if you are worried about sun glare while hunting open areas. The open lens holographics seem to be more affected by that.  90% of my hunting area is canopy covered or small clearings in which I utilize the shade when possible Havent had trouble out of any quality optic.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

gobblergls

I've had a red dot on my guns for about 15 seasons, both Swedish Aimpoint and Trijicon Reflex.  Under hunting conditions, sunlight has never been a problem, but then I hunt mostly canopied areas and usually before 10 a.m.  Only time sunlight was an issue was at pattern board.  Sun was at the wrong angle and was distracting due to scattered light.  The problem was not the sight.  The front aperture was dirty.  After cleaning, issue resolved.  Keep'em clean and it's pretty much a non-issue.
I'd rather have sunlight a problem with a red dot than not being able to see rear leaf and post in a rifle sight combination in low light.  That was a reocurring problem to me before switching over to red dots.  Your eyes may vary.

gob09

im wanting to get a lower priced sight one being a budget and i want to see if i like it and after a season or two i will purchase a very good one

chatterbox

In my humble opinion, red dot sights or scopes are the way to go on turkey guns.
I have shot red dot tube sights, scopes, and reflex sights, and they all have their advantages and disadvantages, with tube scopes and tube style red dots having greater disadvantages then the reflex style sights. The reflex are the lightest with no loss of peripheral vision like the other 2 can have.
I say get what works for you, and stick with it. They all will work, and they all will help with harvesting turkeys. Absolutely nessesary? No. However, I feel more comfortable with optics.

gobbler74

Quote from: gob09 on November 16, 2011, 01:41:44 PM
im wanting to get a lower priced sight one being a budget and i want to see if i like it and after a season or two i will purchase a very good one

If you want a great sight for less money now... I recommend the bushnell red dot..tubular style but don't be surprised if you make it a lifetime scope. There is a red/green option for a little more.
http://www.cabelas.com/red-dots-lasers-bushnell-trophy-red-dot-scope.shtml
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

chatterbox

Quote from: gobbler74 on November 16, 2011, 05:00:12 PM
Quote from: gob09 on November 16, 2011, 01:41:44 PM

If you want a great sight for less money now... I recommend the bushnell red dot..tubular style but don't be surprised if you make it a lifetime scope. There is a red/green option for a little more.
http://www.cabelas.com/red-dots-lasers-bushnell-trophy-red-dot-scope.shtml
Jim's right! A great little sight that can handle the vicious pounding of a turkey gun.

gob09

thanks guys i will be asking for one of those sights for christmas by the time i get this gun setup. smooth skin stock cover recoil pad another choke shells sling
i will have quite an investment in it thats what i tell the wife( investment) LOL

gob09

i think thats what im going to get most if not all the reviews were good and the price is right what do i need to mount it will a regular weaver mount work
please excuse my lack of knowlege on these new age gadgets and such
thanks wes

gaswamp

optics are the way to go imho

DKA

Have used Red Dots in the past, but always have a dead battery. Just use sights now.

WildTigerTrout

I have a Bushnell "Trophy" red dot sight on my Rem 870 Super Mag. Works great. I also have the older Leupold/Gilmore red dot on my Benelli SBE. It works great also. I really like red dots. Zero them properly and IMO they can't be beat. :happy0064:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Ruger M77

Last year i had a bushnell trophy 1.75X4 on my 870 exspress I liked the scope but not the weight. My gun with its 28'' barrel is heavy enough by itself.I need a lighter gun for the mountains I hunt. at least thats my excuse. ;D
I eat therefore I hunt

gob09

i went ahead and ordered the bushnell 1x25 reddot sight it is very small works with a marlin 336 mount and seems to be working great for what it is im going to give it a good pounding before season starts just to be sure thank to everyone for all the info.