OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best optic for turkey gun

Started by Turkeyslayer 101, February 10, 2012, 01:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyslayer 101

If money wasn't an issue what is the best optic for a turkey gun?
Be sharp but don't cut yourself!

chatterbox

It depends on your needs. If you need magnification, I would go with a low power Leupold or Nikon with a turkey reticle.
If you just need a sight, the Aimpoints and Eotechs are at the top of the list.

harleytom

WildSpur

If the sight did not cost more than my gun did I would be rocking a trijicon reflex.  The dot shows up very well and does not require batteries.

The fast fire was more in my price range so I purchased one.  I am happy with it too.  Nice combo with gobbler74's mount.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Turkeyslayer 101

I went and looked at a leupold delta point today, pretty impressive still leading towards a eotech though

chatterbox

Quote from: Turkeyslayer 101 on February 10, 2012, 09:32:00 PM
I went and looked at a leupold delta point today, pretty impressive still leading towards a eotech though
Keep leaning that way. The EOTech is a VERY good sight. I highly recommend them.

gobblergls

Aimpoint has been in the game longer than anyone else.  EOtech has an outstanding reputation as well.
If someone wanted to make me very happy she could buy me an Aimpoint Micro T1 or second choice the slightly less expensive H1.  But she won't read this and it is just as well.  She would look up the costs which would put a price point on the rest of my gear.  I have a 15 year-old Aimpoint on my SBE and it serves the purpose well.  A Ranger friend saw it on my SBE and remarked that he had one on his M4 and it survived 500' airborne drops with his weight landing on it and held zero.  Later models improve battery life and you are looking at 5 years continuous battery life on the later generations.  On two of my other guns sit the Trijicon Reflex and these have provided flawless service.  Tritium has a half-life of 12.5 years before it needs recharging so when it dims, I hope Trijicon is still in business.  I hope that is conservative because I am 7-8 years into one sight.  The sight has some hefty fiber optics for daytime use.  Since buying the Trijicons, there have been substantial price increases.  At one time, they were available with mount for about $280.

Turkeyslayer 101

That T1 aim point is nice as well, which eo tech would you recommend I prefer the smaller one and also what mounting set up would you use?

harleytom

I have the EOTech 512 (larger one). I like it's rugged design and the fact the batteries are AA, making them easier (and cheaper) to find. Aimpoint has a great reputation also. Couldn't go wrong with either.

beagler

Never Misses

Harcomo

HuntSource

Aimpoint H-1 or T-1 Micro with an A.R.M.S. #31 mount. I'm not a huge fan of the standard Aimpoint mount as doesn't have a recoil lug and relies solely on rail side grip to hold it in place. That's asking a lot on a turkey rig.

The H-1 has more daytime brightness options as the T-1 is night vision compatible. The T-1 is presumably tougher and has a more durable finish.

The Zeiss Z-Point is another fantastic sight and a close second in my mind.

Turkeyslayer 101

That T1 seems to be everbodys favorite, I have a comp m4 on an ar awesome optic

Hooks' n' Beards'