Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

To dip or not to dip, that is the question.....

Started by Cowboy, December 17, 2022, 04:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowboy

Got a chance to pick up a couple of Remington turkey guns at a reasonable price,  however the camo is getting really worn in all the places you would expect this to happen.  Both are 12 gauges. One is  a 870 Super Magnum and the other 1187 . Would you get them dipped or just keep them orginal and hunt them? They aren't Old School, so probably dropping value isn't an issue here at this point. Both are Mossy Oak Breakup if I remember correctly. Curious about everyone's thoughts on this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

If the overall look of them isn't that bad, i would just keep the weathered patina look ...  i Just like old guns that have earned its keep....

HookedonHooks

If they're the old Mossy Oak Break Up with the OG Bottomland undertones those will be joining the Bottomland and Greenleaf prices before too long I'd imagine. The 870 Super Mag Special Purpose built in that era were some of the best turkey guns ever made bar none.

scootac

If you're letting a turkey get close enough that you're worried about worn camo on the gun......well.....I don't know what to tell ya.

Tail Feathers

Unless they have worn to being shiny, I probably wouldn't dip them.  Genuine wear is earned and doesn't bother me.  But some people couldn't stand the worn look so whichever makes you happy.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

captpete

You have a couple of good ones there. I have an 870 Special Purpose Magnum in Mossy Oak Breakup that I bought around 2000 or 2001. The camo is starting to wear in certain areas also. I wouldn't think of getting it dipped...it has earned that used/worn look in the duck blinds, Pheasant fields and Turkey woods. The only gun I own that has taken more game is a Coast-To-Coast Master Mag(Mossberg 500) from the late 70's.

In my opinion, just like guys like to brag about injuries/scars, guns like to show off there "scars" also.

tal

All my guns are just black with one exception. If it won't spook birds it's ok with me. I have seen guns come back with cycling issues, etc. A bit of film got into the chamber one guy told me. If it works don't fix it. In the end I'd make myself happy.  :)

Cowboy

Agreed with all of you guys with the exception of the newbie. I figure if those guns could talk, what stories they could tell. The worn look doesnt bother me. I still carry a Remington 1100 with a fixed full choke barrel that has sprng green camo tape stuck on it from my Grandpa. Got several other newer turkey guns but that the one that goes to the woods. That old gun has earned the starter position on the Team. Thanks for all the comments. ( Except for newbie). One in every crowd....

scootac

Turkeybutt

Zobo

The first time I saw camo on a gun I thought it was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen. I swore I wouldn't be caught dead with one of those things in my gun cabinet. Since that time of course camo guns have become very popular and have gone through many different styles and iterations. I have to admit I now find some of the newer camo guns pretty cool looking. I still don't own any but I don't see a problem with dipping those Rems if they look ugly and it bothers you.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

tal

Dips can also offer metal protection against rust, etc.

Cowboy

Quote from: tal on December 19, 2022, 05:14:06 AM
Yes I agree here. I was actually thinking more on these lines about protecting it, more so than eye appeal.

deadbuck

If you redip the guns and use them, 10 years from now they are going to be worn again and need another redip. Seems like a never ending cycle unless you just like the latest camo pattern. I once had an older black SX2 that I wanted to sell and couldnt, so I dipped it in Bottomland and it sold right away with the fresh dip on it though.

nativeks

Quote from: Cowboy on December 19, 2022, 06:36:08 AM
Quote from: tal on December 19, 2022, 05:14:06 AM
Yes I agree here. I was actually thinking more on these lines about protecting it, more so than eye appeal.

Id cerakote it. When the dips wore off my last 2 guns thats what I did. Couldnt be happier.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk