OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Vest alternatives

Started by turkeyfool, August 07, 2022, 12:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyfool

I used the Cabelas Tatr vest years ago, then switched to the Alps vest. Took off the seat cushion, and then the pouch in the back to cut weight. Tried Miss Glenda's satchel this year. Overall, I liked it and would probably use it again next year. But there were some things I didn't like it.

Does anyone have any clever solutions for something super minimalist that would hold, 1 pot, 1 box, a water bottle and some mouth calls and strikers? Maybe a Fanny pack you like?

Tail Feathers

A chest pack would hold it all except the water.  And that is a big hurdle for me.  If I have to carry a Camelback I may as well use a light vest and have all the convenience it offers.  You could look at a Beard Buster hip/belt pack but no water holder. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

GobbleNut

The best set-up for any hunter really depends on how and where they hunt, and what they haul around with them.  Obviously, the guy that walks a hundred yards from his vehicle, sets up a tent blind and puts out a handful of decoys needs a different load-carrying system than the guy that covers miles of country on foot trying to find a willing gobbler that will come to his calling. 

Personally, I am one of the latter,...and I have found that the best set-up for me is to wear cargo pants for the few items I need quick access to, and a backpack to carry the various "essentials" needed at times during the day for the type of hunting I do.  Those essentials include a few bulky items like water, food, clothing, emergency stuff, cameras and tripods which, to me, are most easily hauled around in something on my back rather than elsewhere.

I abandoned wearing a vest or other type of "baggage" a long time ago simply due to the fact that I do not like things flopping around my torso, waist, or upper legs in transit.  I have found I am the least annoyed by the minimal floppage that takes place with the backpack rather than any of the other choices available.  Again, though, if I had a completely different hunting style, I'm sure I would probably prefer another alternative. 

Greg Massey

I found out a wheelbarrow is the best option for carrying all my turkey hunting stuff. I just like being prepared and i don't care to carry my calls in my pockets. The reason why is the noise factor along with getting sweaty and sometimes i may need to belly crawl or cross a creek. The wheelbarrow is awesome for carrying your stuff and floating it across creeks and rivers also. I carry a lot of stuff, decoys, blinds, a couple guns, 5 gallons of drinking water, a gas grill and a cooler full of food and cold drinks. Best to be prepared in my opinion.  Gobblenut this is my load carrying system... LOl...

GobbleNut

Quote from: Greg Massey on August 07, 2022, 02:39:18 PM
I found out a wheelbarrow is the best option for carrying all my turkey hunting stuff. I just like being prepared and i don't care to carry my calls in my pockets. The reason why is the noise factor along with getting sweaty and sometimes i may need to belly crawl or cross a creek. The wheelbarrow is awesome for carrying your stuff and floating it across creeks and rivers also. I carry a lot of stuff, decoys, blinds, a couple guns, 5 gallons of drinking water, a gas grill and a cooler full of food and cold drinks. Best to be prepared in my opinion.  Gobblenut this is my load carrying system... LOl...

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:  Nothing like being prepared for all circumstances that might be encountered!  You got the bases covered!   :angel9:

Tom007

I use a few minimalist set-ups. My favorite, (most used) carry's 2 push pins, mouth diaphragms, shells, and water. The first picture shows 2 Molle' accessory pouches that go right on my pant belt. The 2nd set-up I use is a chest pack by Outdoor Vision. Specially made for Turkey hunting. I use a Thermo-Seat Wedge Cushion which is the most comfortable seat I ever used. These are very minimalist, but effective set-ups.....
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

One more alternative that works well is the Cabelas 1/2 vest with the Speed Seat. Has sufficient pockets for calls, and has 2 water bottle pockets. I added suspenders to mine. It is a real good minimalist approach with a real comfortable seat....
"Solo hunter"

Zobo

I don't know about 12 years ago I bought the lightest vest I could find (0le Tom) and began my modification campaign that continues each year. Every year I pair it down some more and cut off, sew and get rid of useless pockets, straps, magnets and features I don't need. I added features that help secure all my calls and gear.  So it's become a minimalist vest thats lighter in weight and custom built to my style of hunting. I really love it now and I don't need to load it down on most hunts. It's versatile and for me beats a satchel because everything's secure, nothing swings around, it's completely silent and very comfortable. So I always say you're never gonna find the perfect vest, you have to make it.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Bridger

Quote from: Tom007 on August 07, 2022, 05:28:06 PM
One more alternative that works well is the Cabelas 1/2 vest with the Speed Seat. Has sufficient pockets for calls, and has 2 water bottle pockets. I added suspenders to mine. It is a real good minimalist approach with a real comfortable seat....

Tom007, can you give some more details on the suspenders?  I've been looking for a setup like this.  Thanks!

zelmo1

2 situations for me. My vest I use when I am alone is an old Cabelas Tac Tatr, I love it. When my hunting/life partner comes along, I travel a bit heavier to lighten her load. I carry a Tom Teaser satchel and a wingman chair for her. The extra weight is worth eating supper every night to me  :funnyturkey: Z

Tom007

Quote from: Bridger on August 12, 2022, 04:04:09 AM

Tom007, can you give some more details on the suspenders?  I've been looking for a setup like this.  Thanks!

Yes sir. Will post pic.

Here you are.
"Solo hunter"

Dtrkyman

The RNG 200 is quite nice for a minimalist set up, I added a cheap hip pouch from Amazon for pruners, can remove it easily when not needed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btodd00

if the run n gun 100 had the backpack/waterpack on it like the 200, I think it would be the perfect vest for me. I still like my 200, but it holds more calls than I usually need

I have seen several people make a nice setup from bino harnesses with attachments but they are $$$

Bridger

Quote from: Tom007 on August 12, 2022, 08:15:01 AM
Quote from: Bridger on August 12, 2022, 04:04:09 AM

Yes sir. Will post pic.

Here you are.

Thanks Tom!

Copperback

Pockets are all a turkey hunter should ever need. If u cannot carry it in your pockets, it needs to stay at the truck.