OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 3 inch Heavy 13 #5  (Read 8456 times)

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
Re: 3 inch Heavy 13 #5
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2020, 03:48:33 PM »
Tom, I`m sure you probably know this, but you can get into money if you pattern check with just your turkey loads. Use some #6 field loads to give you an idea of where your hitting, sight in with them, and then confirm with a round or two with your turkey loads. That`s worked for me,
Turkeyrider is spot on with the field loads or you can use dove loads as well.  Make sure your POA/POI is spot on at 12 to 15 yards before you even experiment with your turkey loads.  If your POA/POI is off get a set of Williams sights or opt for a scope or red dot and correct the POA/POI first then do some experimenting.

Hardly unusual for POA/POI not to line up. I became an optics convert via turkey hunting!

I had a Mossberg 500 12 ga. that was 3-4 inches right and 4 inches low shooting two beads. It can happen, and unless you check you won't know.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2020, 04:00:17 PM »
Tom, I`m sure you probably know this, but you can get into money if you pattern check with just your turkey loads. Use some #6 field loads to give you an idea of where your hitting, sight in with them, and then confirm with a round or two with your turkey loads. That`s worked for me,
Turkeyrider is spot on with the field loads or you can use dove loads as well.  Make sure your POA/POI is spot on at 12 to 15 yards before you even experiment with your turkey loads.  If your POA/POI is off get a set of Williams sights or opt for a scope or red dot and correct the POA/POI first then do some experimenting.

Hardly unusual for POA/POI not to line up. I became an optics convert via turkey hunting!

I had a Mossberg 500 12 ga. that was 3-4 inches right and 4 inches low shooting two beads. It can happen, and unless you check you won't know.

You bet. I never hunt with anything that has not been range checked so I know exactly what’s going on. Great info my friend.....
“Solo hunter”

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2020, 04:19:45 PM »

You bet. I never hunt with anything that has not been range checked so I know exactly what’s going on. Great info my friend.....

105% agree!

Its getting to be that time of year again. So its good to refresh this kind of info so new turkey hunters don't just grab the first gun out of the safe, a handful of shells and try and call up a turkey without doing their homework.

No one would dare venture into the deer woods without spending time at the range. Same applies here in principle. Those patterns are super small at 15 - 25 yards but those small patterns also have fliers.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2020, 05:14:01 PM »

105% agree!

Its getting to be that time of year again. So its good to refresh this kind of info so new turkey hunters don't just grab the first gun out of the safe, a handful of shells and try and call up a turkey without doing their homework.

No one would dare venture into the deer woods without spending time at the range. Same applies here in principle. Those patterns are super small at 15 - 25 yards but those small patterns also have fliers.

You bet PA. This may sound weird, but I enjoy sighting in and shooting paper turkey targets, shooting my deer  guns, bows all in preparation for my hunts just as much as hunting itself. Scouting, setting stands, its all just as much fun. Be safe my friend...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 06:37:40 AM by Tom007 »
“Solo hunter”

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2020, 09:55:14 PM »

105% agree!

You be PA. This may sound weird, but I enjoy sighting in and shooting paper turkey targets, shooting my deer  guns, bows all in preparation for my hunts just as much as hunting itself. Scouting, setting stands, its all just as much fun. Be safe my friend...

Not a thing weird about that. The process and planning are all a part of it and a major part of the fun for me. I like to be successful as much as the next hunter, but I`m not ashamed to admit that as I`ve grown older, pulling the trigger has become less of a focus. I NEVER have a bad day in the woods. There`s so much to see and appreciate out there, that God`s given us, if we just stop and look.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2020, 06:36:41 AM »
Well said my friends, well said.....be safe
“Solo hunter”

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2020, 08:13:55 AM »
Not a thing weird about that. The process and planning are all a part of it and a major part of the fun for me. I like to be successful as much as the next hunter, but I`m not ashamed to admit that as I`ve grown older, pulling the trigger has become less of a focus. I NEVER have a bad day in the woods. There`s so much to see and appreciate out there, that God`s given us, if we just stop and look.
[/quote
Well said TR!  I'm glad Tombo has started this thread.  Most of us are 4 to 5 months away from our opener and haven't turned our attention to PREPARATION yet.  When setting up our equipment, we need to prepare EARLY.  I enjoy January, February and March, in anticipation of our opener in April by getting my 835 ready, practicing my calling and checking on everything turkey.  Good Luck setting up that 870. 

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2020, 05:04:07 PM »
[/quote
Well said TR!  I'm glad Tombo has started this thread.  Most of us are 4 to 5 months away from our opener and haven't turned our attention to PREPARATION yet.  When setting up our equipment, we need to prepare EARLY.  I enjoy January, February and March, in anticipation of our opener in April by getting my 835 ready, practicing my calling and checking on everything turkey.  Good Luck setting up that 870.

Thanks my friend. Yea, we are all thinking about those feathered friends. You bet preparation is as fun as the hunt themselves. Be safe, be well
“Solo hunter”