turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

BAD BIRDS by Jim Spencer

Started by tomstopper, January 20, 2016, 06:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

I had just gotten this book in the mail the other day and cant put it down. I used to love his stories in the Turkey & Turkey Hunting magazine & this book is a small collection of them. Just wondering if any of you have read this book and what did you think.

marshboy

I own a copy.
I read it before every season.
This book caused me to purchase other books of Jim's.
Greg

fallhnt

It was fun to read his articles in Turkey and Turkey Hunting. I miss both.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

firedup

paboxcall

I'm a huge fan of Jim's writing!   :icon_thumright:

I have a quote from him as a signature line on another forum, and after seeing it Jim reached out to me to say hello and introduce himself.  Super guy, excellent writer, and a terrific sense of humor.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

1tiogabowhunter

Did you find the book helpful?   Always looking for another book to improve my hunting skills.

OldSchool

I haven't read it, but I'll check it out. Thanks.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

strutnva

Keep it by the bed all the time.  It's nice to pick it up and read a short story and then go to sleep.  I have read it multiple times by random story.

PALongspur

My favorite turkey hunting book!

I also read it ritually before the season!

tomstopper

Quote from: 1tiogabowhunter on January 20, 2016, 01:30:29 PM
Did you find the book helpful?   Always looking for another book to improve my hunting skills.
I don't know if I would say helpful (although I am sure you might find something that he does that you don't so I would say that you could possibly learn something new), but definitely entertaining. It's always fun to read about the dang birds that can get the best of us. Just a good read

mgm1955

A real entertaining read, well worth the time.

Drthorn

After reading these posts I just ordered me a copy.

LaLongbeard

Jim Spencer's Turkey Hunting Digest is also a great book alot of instruction and hunting stories  I highly recommend it to new TH . I reread it every year before the season.Jim spends several months every season hunting Turkeys across the  country and has a wealth of experience and has a writing style I like. I'd put him in the same class as Mr. Kelly. His Bad birds book are the stories from T&TH magazine in book form great read as well.I'm hoping Jim writes another Turkey book soon.

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Rapscallion Vermilion

I had a hard time finding this book (Amazon has it for $9,999.97, whatever that means), but did end up finding a copy at this mom and pop bookstore in New Mexico. I don't have any connection with these folks, but I like the kind of books they stock. They have about a half dozen or so copies left, if anyone else is looking for it.

http://www.high-lonesomebooks.com/

tomstopper

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 25, 2016, 08:46:53 PM
I had a hard time finding this book (Amazon has it for $9,999.97, whatever that means), but did end up finding a copy at this mom and pop bookstore in New Mexico. I don't have any connection with these folks, but I like the kind of books they stock. They have about a half dozen or so copies left, if anyone else is looking for it.

http://www.high-lonesomebooks.com/
This is exactly where I got my copy so please feel safe to order from them.