OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobblers of a lifetime

Started by TRKYHTR, April 25, 2012, 06:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

Just got back from my MO and IA turkey hunt. Preacher (Robin Risher) and I had a great hunt and killed some monster turkeys. We both killed 1 MO gobbler and 1 IA gobbler and probably the best turkeys we will ever kill. Robin took the prize in IA with a 23#, 1 1/2" spur, double beard (11",9") Trophy. I took the prize in MO with a 24#, 11" beard, 1 3/4" spur gobbler of a lifetime. All of our turkeys weighed alot with a : 24, 24, 23, 22.5 lbs. We started in MO with a gobbling turkey that came into the field looking for a lonesome hen. He started at 300 yards and gobbled and strutted all the way across the field to about 70 yards. This took about an hour as he was traveling about 1" per minute. At about 70 yards he stuck his head up and looked hard over his shoulder, if he had shoulders, and slicked down. Then he flicked his wings into place and took off into a sprint. My first thoughts was there was a bigger gobbler coming to run him off. So I started looking around for another turkey. I knew Robin hadn't moved as he was as rock solid and any tree in the woods. Thats when I caught movement and spotted the problem. A deer had came into the field and ran at the turkey and ran him all the way to the other end of the field. We had 1 more encounter that day and Robin just couldn't get a shot at 40+ yards so that ended our first MO hunt. The next day we split up and both hunted new areas. I went to a corner of a field edge with about 20 minutes before flydown. At flydown 4 big gobblers flew into the field. 3 we called the "3 amigos" and 1 we called fat beard because he had a looong fat beard. The 3 amigos had the hens and fatbeard stayed away, although gobbling and strutting the whole time as did the amigos. After about 1 1/2 hours of calling, with answers back almost immediately, and 2 more gobbler entering the field I decided to throw in a trump card. It was time to challenge.So I pulled out my amplifier and after a series of yelps I gobbled at them, twice. They answered back with thundering gobbles. I was in a ditch with good cover and had to turn around to perform such maneuvers. When I peaked back into the field they were all still doing their thing and hadn't budged. I was not feeling well this morning and thought I might just hurl any minute. So I turned my back to all the action and set against a tree. resting awhile I almost fell asleep until I heard the beautiful sound of Chhkk Voooooooooommmmmm. Directly behind me. I rolled over to my knees and grabbed the gun. When I peered over the underbrush their was a big gobbler in full strut standing broadside. I eased my gun up and putted. He didn't even come out of strut. Finally he stretched his neck out to walk and I WHACKED him. As I ran to the flopping turkey the first thing I noticed was his THICK beard. I mean really thick. The base of his beard will not fit into a 12 GA shotgun casing. I proceded to step on his head, which he then began to thrash around. Kicking with all his furry I began to feel sharp pains coming from my ankle and I immediately grabbed his feet, reminding myself to stay away from his spurs just in case they were sharp. Then my eyes settled on his legs. There in my hands were the longest and sharpest set of spurs I had ever seen, dead or alive, mine or someone elses. After the thrashing stopped I thanked the good Lord for the most awesome turkey I had ever laid my eyes on and slung him over my shoulder and walked to the truck. That just goes to show you that even when your sick things can turn for the better in a matter of minutes. There is so much more to say about this trip that wiull have to come at a later time. Here is a few pics from our hunt.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Tail Feathers

That was one great hunting trip! :turkey2:

Congrats on the birds. :fud:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Limbstrutter

Way to get it done !!!!! Man those birds have some hooks. Well done..
SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga
Mission MXB 320
Parker Tornado F4

Jay Longhauser

congrats on some great birds!  pretty cool you each got birds that nice on a trip together Im sure you will remember it for a long time.

ctwny1

What a great hunt you all had. Congrats on some great gobblers.

JnL

guesswho

Very nice.  Congrats on some super birds!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Flydown

VERY impressive turkeys right there! Congrats to you guys on an Awesome adventure!!!  Joe, did you have to get your leg stitched up after getting stabbed with those gut hooks? LOL!

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

1tiogabowhunter

tomstopper

Man. Sounds like a great hunt. Congrats. Great looking birds.

Jacobson

Congrats, what a set of hooks......

Preacher

Several stories yall need to encourage Joe to tell:

1.  encouraging words-  I had some shooting issues ,   I missed
2.  the gobbler fight he did not film
3.  Hotel six tango    Papa delta bravo
4.  the interview
5.   missing the colbert
and several more
Romans 8:37

Old Gobbler