OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rem 870 SM Shurshot Turkey opinions

Started by 8upbowhunter, March 09, 2012, 07:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyhunter

I really like the shushot stock its very comfortable and easy to maneuver. As for the action, Its no where near as smooth as my older 870's.

8upbowhunter

Quote from: tyelper on March 09, 2012, 09:33:40 AM
i have the super mag with the 23'' vent barrel mine has he regular stock, i have had it about 5 years ,it has the stock extra full remington turkey and trows really good patterns with just about any decent shell but loves to eat the 3'' 1 7/8 nuber 6 remington nitros,,,,,,,good choice on a turkey gun, have you checked out the max gobbler,,,,,

No I didn't look at the Max Gobbler. I couldn't find it on Remington's site but did a web search and found it. Might have to do a little more research on it.

redleg06

Quote from: GrizzlyMan1980 on March 09, 2012, 09:45:57 AM
I Had the Remington Shurshot Pump Turkey gun with the 20' Barrell and the one that came with the Truglo Red dot,Gun was Mossy oak obsession,Looked great Grip was great but the action was pitiful,The gun wanted to jam on every different 3.5' Shell i bought for it,I Did kill a Bird with it but overall i was not imnpressed,I Would not buy a Remington 870 Express Pump again,I would buy a Wingmaster or a Auto,Thats my experience,I am a lilltle pissed i saved for 4 months to buy it and then it did not perform.I Sold it and Bought the Browning Bps 12 Gauge NWTF Gun and will never Sell it,I Love the Browning,Twice the Gun,But Each to there own,I Got a Lemon in the Remington and thats all it took to turn me off.Good luck with whatever you choose.

I bought the same gun you did and had just the opposite experience. I killed 5 with it last year and the gun performed as good as any pump I've ever owned.

It doesnt help your paritcular situation but it sounds like you might have just gotten a bad apple. I know a couple of guys with this gun and I've never personally heard of issues. That being said, I had a Benelli SBE 2 a few years ago that would turn into a single shot and I know a ton of guys that swear by them but my experience was a little different.  I think the remington870  is a quality gun just like the Benelli is but there is a bad one in every bunch.

Hooks' n' Beards'

Quote from: Mr16Gauge on March 10, 2012, 06:56:17 AM
Great Combo

For the poster with the Express that jammed, did you do a good cleaning job on it before heading to the woods?

We  have seen a "few" from the factory that were full of grease coming off the line.

We have had over 25 different 870 in the direct and extended family with 0 defects.  Human error oh yes, defects no.

The BPS is indeed a good system also.

Shoot and enjoy.

:OGturkeyhead:
Yes ,It was cleaned and Me and my father tried Numerous Shells from different companies and It only jammed on 3.5" It was a Lemon for sure,Oh well,It got sold and im happy with my Browning,Guy who bought it loves it,I Just could not trust it not to jam again,I Do believe it was a Bad apple,But its enough to turn me off of 870 Express,I am just starting to look into a New Auto for All round Goose,Duck and Maybe a Turkey huntin Gun,Thinking of a Remington or Browning,I Will never buy another Remington Pump but my old man swears by there Auto's so we will see.

Hooks' n' Beards'

Quote from: redleg06 on March 10, 2012, 11:23:17 AM
Quote from: GrizzlyMan1980 on March 09, 2012, 09:45:57 AM
I Had the Remington Shurshot Pump Turkey gun with the 20' Barrell and the one that came with the Truglo Red dot,Gun was Mossy oak obsession,Looked great Grip was great but the action was pitiful,The gun wanted to jam on every different 3.5' Shell i bought for it,I Did kill a Bird with it but overall i was not imnpressed,I Would not buy a Remington 870 Express Pump again,I would buy a Wingmaster or a Auto,Thats my experience,I am a lilltle pissed i saved for 4 months to buy it and then it did not perform.I Sold it and Bought the Browning Bps 12 Gauge NWTF Gun and will never Sell it,I Love the Browning,Twice the Gun,But Each to there own,I Got a Lemon in the Remington and thats all it took to turn me off.Good luck with whatever you choose.

I bought the same gun you did and had just the opposite experience. I killed 5 with it last year and the gun performed as good as any pump I've ever owned.

It doesnt help your paritcular situation but it sounds like you might have just gotten a bad apple. I know a couple of guys with this gun and I've never personally heard of issues. That being said, I had a Benelli SBE 2 a few years ago that would turn into a single shot and I know a ton of guys that swear by them but my experience was a little different.  I think the remington870  is a quality gun just like the Benelli is but there is a bad one in every bunch.
Im glad yours is Performing,Mine diod not perform up to my Standards,All it wanted to do was Jam on 3.5' Shells,Oh well,You live and you learn,Enjoy your gun,I Wanted mine so bad for 2 Years and then i Could not wait to unload it,Lol.Cheers and Hopefully you slay a few more Gobblers with it this year.

bow junkie

love mine, have the APG model, kick's choke, tru glo red dot.