turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rem 870 SM Shurshot Turkey opinions

Started by 8upbowhunter, March 09, 2012, 07:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

8upbowhunter

I want to get a dedicated turkey gun for next year and will be purchasing this gun over the summer. I've read a lot of posts about the 870's on here but have not seen a whole lot of them on this gun in particular. I welcome all opinions especially from those that actually have this gun. I've attached the info from the Remington site for those not familiar with the gun.

Overview:

The most dependable slide action of all time super-tuned to bring the strut to a grinding halt. The specialized turkey shotgun is fully covered in Realtree® APG™ HD™ camo and delivers a 3 1/2" Super Magnum™ payload with lethal authority at the longest ranges. Featuring our ShurShot™ synthetic pistol-grip stock, the Model 870™ SPS ShurShot™ Synthetic Turkey offers both right-and left-handed hunters the pinnacle of lightweight shooting comfort and handling ease.

With this stock in your grip, repositioning for the shot is quick and efficient, plus the position of your hand naturally diffuses recoil. The 23" barrel offers awesome maneuverability, while the fully adjustable TruGlo® fiber-optic sights and an extended Wingmaster HD™ Turkey Rem™ Choke maximize pattern placement.

Key Features:

23" rifle-sighted barrel
    TruGlo® fiber optic sight
    Wingmaster HD™ extented Rem™ Choke (Turkey)
    Receiver drilled and tapped for scope mounts
    Realtree® APG™ HD™ camo
    Molded in rear sling swivel stud and front stud included in magazine cap
    3 lb. "competition" style spring on trigger  assembly

Cutt

Have the same gun but in the autoloader 11-87, love the Sur Shot stock for steady aiming, and also helps with recoil with your hand postion that absorbs some of it.

And don't buy another choke until you give the Wingmaster a fair try, you'll be surprised with the tubes performance as compared to other popular tubes.

here's the 11-87, same setup

nyhunter

I have that exact same gun. It very quickly became my favorite turkey gun. And that's saying allot because my other gun is a SBEII, anyway I never tried the choke that came with it but i agree with cutt you should give it a try. I really like how the gun handles when I'm set up on a gobbler. The first thing i did and and have done with all my 870's is put a patriot trigger spring in them. I have a bunch of chokes for Remys and the one that patterned the best was the Jellyhead .660. With H-13 3" 2oz #6 it put 170's in a 10" circle and 3.5" 2.25oz #6's it put 195+. I just polished the barrel so I cant wait to see what it'll do now. You really need to deep clean that barrel before you shoot it.

Wingbone

I have that gun in MO Obsession, but i have the vent rib instead of sights, with a Truglo Dot on it. I love that gun. I have the expensive autos for various purposes, but when I decided on a dedicated turkey gun, I went with the 870. The ShurShot is my go-to turkey roaster, and the other gun in the pic is the 870 Max Gobbler.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

8upbowhunter

Quote from: nyhunter on March 09, 2012, 08:33:01 AM
I have that exact same gun. It very quickly became my favorite turkey gun. And that's saying allot because my other gun is a SBEII, anyway I never tried the choke that came with it but i agree with cutt you should give it a try. I really like how the gun handles when I'm set up on a gobbler. The first thing i did and and have done with all my 870's is put a patriot trigger spring in them. I have a bunch of chokes for Remys and the one that patterned the best was the Jellyhead .660. With H-13 3" 2oz #6 it put 170's in a 10" circle and 3.5" 2.25oz #6's it put 195+. I just polished the barrel so I cant wait to see what it'll do now. You really need to deep clean that barrel before you shoot it.

Thanks for the info on the trigger spring, I will look into that. I plan on deep cleaning the barrel and maybe a couple more mods before I even fire the first shot out of it. I will also give the factory choke a fair chance before trying any aftermarket ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tyelper

i have the super mag with the 23'' vent barrel mine has he regular stock, i have had it about 5 years ,it has the stock extra full remington turkey and trows really good patterns with just about any decent shell but loves to eat the 3'' 1 7/8 nuber 6 remington nitros,,,,,,,good choice on a turkey gun, have you checked out the max gobbler,,,,,

Hooks' n' Beards'

I Had the Remington Shurshot Pump Turkey gun with the 20' Barrell and the one that came with the Truglo Red dot,Gun was Mossy oak obsession,Looked great Grip was great but the action was pitiful,The gun wanted to jam on every different 3.5' Shell i bought for it,I Did kill a Bird with it but overall i was not imnpressed,I Would not buy a Remington 870 Express Pump again,I would buy a Wingmaster or a Auto,Thats my experience,I am a lilltle pissed i saved for 4 months to buy it and then it did not perform.I Sold it and Bought the Browning Bps 12 Gauge NWTF Gun and will never Sell it,I Love the Browning,Twice the Gun,But Each to there own,I Got a Lemon in the Remington and thats all it took to turn me off.Good luck with whatever you choose.

seadux

It will be hard to to go wrong with that gun! I have the same gun but with the Knoxx stock in the 870 SM Max Gobbler.  No complaints from the 11 birds I have killed with it! The remington choke did not perform well for me.  I shot the 3.5" Win. Supreme HV #5 & #6 through a trueglo gobble stopper extreme, they patterned very well.  I am in the process of working out my choke combo for the H-13 #7s now and plan to hunt with those this season.

Cutt

Forgot to add, I too did change the trigger spring with a Patriot, as the factory is a bit heavy. And the only negative is the safety, as I like a thumb safety better for turkey hunting, but no biggie.

As for choke comparision the factory Wingmaster with H-13- 3.5- 2.25oz. #6's put up around 215, a very good choke for some of the Hevi loads.

Hooks' n' Beards'

Quote from: Cutt on March 09, 2012, 03:35:30 PM

Forgot to add, I too did change the trigger spring with a Patriot, as the factory is a bit heavy. And the only negative is the safety, as I like a thumb safety better for turkey hunting, but no biggie.

As for choke comparision the factory Wingmaster with H-13- 3.5- 2.25oz. #6's put up around 215, a very good choke for some of the Hevi loads.
How do you like the Stock?It looks like it would be comfortable,I Liked the Shurshot grip on my Remington,Just not the action,I Would love to build a Browning Bps with a Custom Stock,But i have heard you cant.I like your Gun,ITs Sweet lookin.

Cutt

QuoteHow do you like the Stock?It looks like it would be comfortable,I Liked the Shurshot grip on my Remington,Just not the action,I Would love to build a Browning Bps with a Custom Stock,But i have heard you cant.I like your Gun,ITs Sweet lookin.

As I stated I love the stock for steady aiming and easy manuvering. And it also seems to help with taking some of the recoil off of your shoulder as the hand absorbs some of it.

As with action problems, I can't comment, as mine is an autoloader and I have had no issues with it, cycles all 3in. and 3.5in. shells I have tried so far, haven't used any 2 3/4 though. Too me this guns seems to like and shoots the bigger loads the best. Not sure if a pump would be any different?

gecko

I have this same rig, love it.  I added a .665 Jelly Head.  It will put 251 in the 10" circle at 40 with 31/2 21/4 oz Magblends.  I love the weight.  I have a neoprene sling made by Vero Vellini, very comfortable.  I love the ambi stock too, I am a righty but can shoot it lefty easily.  I like the sights, only slight tweaks to get it deadon at 40.  Will put the smack down on an old knothead.     

8upbowhunter

Quote from: GrizzlyMan1980 on March 09, 2012, 09:45:57 AM
I Had the Remington Shurshot Pump Turkey gun with the 20' Barrell and the one that came with the Truglo Red dot,Gun was Mossy oak obsession,Looked great Grip was great but the action was pitiful,The gun wanted to jam on every different 3.5' Shell i bought for it,I Did kill a Bird with it but overall i was not imnpressed,I Would not buy a Remington 870 Express Pump again,I would buy a Wingmaster or a Auto,Thats my experience,I am a lilltle pissed i saved for 4 months to buy it and then it did not perform.I Sold it and Bought the Browning Bps 12 Gauge NWTF Gun and will never Sell it,I Love the Browning,Twice the Gun,But Each to there own,I Got a Lemon in the Remington and thats all it took to turn me off.Good luck with whatever you choose.

Well maybe I will run a bunch of 3.5" loads I have laying around as soon as I get it to test it. I am getting it through my brother who has a FFL license so if it doesn't cycle I will get him to send it back to Remington as a defect and get them to fix or replace it. That's why I want to get it after the season is over. I will have a year to trick it out and get it right for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flayer

if you can find the 870 supermag in a camo thumbhole stock you will have one of the best that they produced. they will hammer a turkey with shot when grouped with the right choke and hevi-13.

Mr16Gauge

Great Combo

For the poster with the Express that jammed, did you do a good cleaning job on it before heading to the woods?

We  have seen a "few" from the factory that were full of grease coming off the line.

We have had over 25 different 870 in the direct and extended family with 0 defects.  Human error oh yes, defects no.

The BPS is indeed a good system also.

Shoot and enjoy.

:OGturkeyhead: