News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rain gear recommendation

Started by Cowboy, January 25, 2021, 01:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WW

trkehunr93

I agree with the Cabela's recommendations but would look into the Gore Tex line they carry, I have the jacket and it packable (stuffs into interior chest pocket).  Believe its the MT050 line.

catman529

How quiet? If it's raining the woods are already pretty noisy. Ive got a set of frogg toggs in Bottomland camo that work great. Only complaint is they don't like briars. Tore a hole in the pants on some sawbriar one time. Patched it up and still use them on occasion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

btomlin

Quote from: trkehunr93 on February 01, 2021, 11:58:17 AM
I agree with the Cabela's recommendations but would look into the Gore Tex line they carry, I have the jacket and it packable (stuffs into interior chest pocket).  Believe its the MT050 line.

I have a similar set it sounds.  Cabelas Rain Suede or MT050(can't recall which one it is or maybe they are one and the same).  It is quiet and keeps me dry.

Cowboy

Quote from: catman529 on February 01, 2021, 12:17:25 PM
How quiet? If it's raining the woods are already pretty noisy. Ive got a set of frogg toggs in Bottomland camo that work great. Only complaint is they don't like briars. Tore a hole in the pants on some sawbriar one time. Patched it up and still use them on occasion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
yeah I got a set of the Frogg Toggs in Bottomland as well. Ripped the bottom pant leg other day while I work them to work. My fault. So that's why I was searching for something else
Agree on the briars. They snag easy.

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

tha bugman

Goat boy

MO_HUNTER

I ended up going with the Cabelas packable gear. It doesn't breathe very good, but man it works and it was reasonably priced. That's my recommendation!

dublelung

I splurged several years ago and bought a mildly expensive rain suit from Cabela's. It's quiet, compact, water proof, and lightweight but be warned, it doesn't like the clothes dryer even on low heat.  :( >:(

I also use Frogg Toggs about as much as any other. It's also compact but not as tear resistant as the Cabela's.

perrytrails

Years ago, probably 25 years ago, I bought a Mossy oak set. Jacket and pants. Almost puked back then, paying $200 for that set for rain gear. It was somewhat breathable but got hot quick if it stopped raining and you hiked far. It was a soft material with no shine.

It was expensive for the time but lasted, mainly because you wore it a limited amount of times a year. I still have it. Not as water proof, faded somewhat but it was well worth the money.

It's hard to justify the money of a Kuiu, first lite, Sitka, forest River set but it may very well last you 25 years if cared for. And keep you in the woods longer. I've taken many birds after a rain let up. Usually have the woods to yourself. A suit like this is hand wash, drip dry or hang in the shower. A dryer will melt the lining material. I'd check rivers west for something similar to this. They may be somewhat cheaper.