OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Fall hunting  (Read 5769 times)

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Fall hunting
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2020, 04:52:36 PM »
Good luck sir-diealot, I hope you have a ton of fun. I hope you don't pull a boneheaded move like I did today.

Yesterday was our opener in Ohio and I saw a couple gobblers in the morning and went back yesterday evening. We called in a group of 5 hens and passed on them, then watched two gobblers go up. This morning we were right above them and they responded to calls  on the roost and in gray light one pitched down right in my lap at 25 yards. It was fair shooting time but due to cloud cover darker than usual and I could barely see my sights. I put what I thought was the bead on his neck and squeezed ....woosh a clean miss and he flew up into a tree and sat on a limb putting at me. After about 2-3 minutes he flew off toward a field. Later we drove by that field and he and his buddy were out there sticking their tongues out at me, it was posted property. Oh well I'll be back out tomorrow. 

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2020, 05:28:19 PM »
Good luck sir-diealot, I hope you have a ton of fun. I hope you don't pull a boneheaded move like I did today.

Yesterday was our opener in Ohio and I saw a couple gobblers in the morning and went back yesterday evening. We called in a group of 5 hens and passed on them, then watched two gobblers go up. This morning we were right above them and they responded to calls  on the roost and in gray light one pitched down right in my lap at 25 yards. It was fair shooting time but due to cloud cover darker than usual and I could barely see my sights. I put what I thought was the bead on his neck and squeezed ....woosh a clean miss and he flew up into a tree and sat on a limb putting at me. After about 2-3 minutes he flew off toward a field. Later we drove by that field and he and his buddy were out there sticking their tongues out at me, it was posted property. Oh well I'll be back out tomorrow.

Man that unfortunate to hear, I wish you better luck tomorrow. My entire plans just got changed on me, I had permission to turkey hunt from the one brother and now the other brother just told me he does not want me to turkey hunt because he does not want me there before deer season turkey hunting because I will scare all the deer away before the season starts. This is the same person that does not want me to scare all the deer away trapping. Makes absolutely no sense at all and now he told me I can't deer hunt until after the second week of the season.

We had just had a conversation about Trump vs Biden, he is VERY pro Biden hates all things Republican/Conservative and I am pro Trump, it got a little heated and I think that is why deer hunting got changed. What sucks about that for me is that means NO deer hunting for me until after the second week of the season, my knee has popped out of socket 21 times since July 27th and I do not know that I can drag a deer right now, it was hard enough with my other problems before this.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2020, 06:11:06 PM »
So opening day I saw at least a dozen turkey, I was able to call them from the field into the woods, all came within 2-4 feet of me but all were hens so I let them pass. I did get to hear a lot of vocalizations so that was pretty neat.

I didn't get to see any turkey this morning, but I got to hear a lot of clucking, some gobbling and some Kee-kee runs, some yelps and some tree talk so it was a good morning. I got to see some chipmunks and squirrels and some birds. It's always a good day when you get to see God's world wake up in the turkey woods. Also some pretty colors in the sky.

I do have a question though, when I started to hear the kee-kee runs I started trying to throw back exactly what I was hearing, it seemed to drive the turkey away. Should I have just sat there silent like I did before and let them go into the field and tried to call them again if there were any males?

The first bit of this video is blurry, I did not know I had to hit the button a second time to get it to focus, if that bothers you go to 1:20 I keep it full length so I can hear the vocalizations. It's from the first day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0GZVBeIdsI
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2020, 05:35:58 AM »
You done fine. If anything I'd say don't be too conservative with your calling. Birds are used to a lot of talking in the fall. As you could tell they are constantly calling many times, especially right off  the roost and when young birds are present. Some days you can't get a peep out of them. Older birds will call much less. As example, we had very few young turkeys survive in my area this year and all we are seeing is flocks of adult hens and gobblers. A lot of days all we'll hear is some tree talk and a few yelps after the hit the ground. Makes it tough for sure.

Aren't you allowed to shoot hens and young birds? You won't see may gobbler flocks mixing with the hens and young ones unless there is a special food source. It can be very tough telling Y.O.Y. jakes from hens. Pick out the biggest young bird and it's most likely a male. The young males will also start to congregate together just like spring jake groups. They will be off to themselves and you can tell them by their loud course kee kee runs with a couple course yelps on the end. If you just want a gobbler then great  for holding off, but as Elmer Fud would say , It's raabbut/ errr Turkey season! 

Gobblers will cluck real sharp to locate each other, listen for that. Also, last springs jakes (Jake and a half/ super jakes) will run long strings of course yelps. If you hear what you think is an obnoxious hen just yelping her butt off, it's a good bet it's a gobbler.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2020, 08:25:19 AM »
You done fine. If anything I'd say don't be too conservative with your calling. Birds are used to a lot of talking in the fall. As you could tell they are constantly calling many times, especially right off  the roost and when young birds are present. Some days you can't get a peep out of them. Older birds will call much less. As example, we had very few young turkeys survive in my area this year and all we are seeing is flocks of adult hens and gobblers. A lot of days all we'll hear is some tree talk and a few yelps after the hit the ground. Makes it tough for sure.

Aren't you allowed to shoot hens and young birds? You won't see may gobbler flocks mixing with the hens and young ones unless there is a special food source. It can be very tough telling Y.O.Y. jakes from hens. Pick out the biggest young bird and it's most likely a male. The young males will also start to congregate together just like spring jake groups. They will be off to themselves and you can tell them by their loud course kee kee runs with a couple course yelps on the end. If you just want a gobbler then great  for holding off, but as Elmer Fud would say , It's raabbut/ errr Turkey season! 

Gobblers will cluck real sharp to locate each other, listen for that. Also, last springs jakes (Jake and a half/ super jakes) will run long strings of course yelps. If you hear what you think is an obnoxious hen just yelping her butt off, it's a good bet it's a gobbler.
Thank you for the tips, had 4 in front of me today but all looked like hens, they walked maybe 5-10 yards in front and were moving at a trot so hàrd to determine. Yes you can shoot hens here, I just choose not to. To me killing a hen is killing the future so I choose not to take them.

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk

John Koenig:

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2020, 12:19:26 PM »
Little better in life than hunkered down beneath a flock of fall birds waking up on the limb and then flying down together.

Sounds like you're having a great fall season Steve!
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2020, 03:33:56 PM »
We had 12 gooblers fly down right out in front of us today and two more come in from below us for a total of 14. We never got a shot under 50 yards, but toyed with them for two hrs and then left them after they fed off. We'll be back on them Monday. They were gobbling, yelping, whining and clucking. It was fun. The old boss was even strutting