OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Do i need to wrap or dip my gun  (Read 6345 times)

Offline rkelly

Do i need to wrap or dip my gun
« on: June 29, 2020, 10:18:57 PM »
I have a Mossberg 535 that isn't camo.  I have a friend that says i need to get it dipped or wrap it when i hunt turkey.  I've seen plenty of videos of folks killing turkeys with non camo guns.  Do y'all think i need to wrap it, or is the standard wood/black color fine?

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Do i need to wrap or dip my gun
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 10:24:17 PM »
No you do not need to but it does help to cut reflections if yours is just the old fashioned bluing and not flat black. People were hunting with them for years before that stuff ever came out.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline rkelly

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 10:37:18 PM »
It's the blued barrel.  I'll just wrap the barrel, that is simple enough.  Much simpler and less expensive than dipping.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 10:38:52 PM »
It's the blued barrel.  I'll just wrap the barrel, that is simple enough.  Much simpler and less expensive than dipping.
You do not really even have to do that to be honest. How do you hunt turkey, do you sit on the ground by a tree or do you hunt from a blind? If from a blind I do not think it is even necessary.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline rkelly

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 10:56:50 PM »
My first hunt was in Wisconsin this last season.  I did a little running and gunning and sat in a blind for a while, so both.  I'll just wrap it.  I'd hate to have my a shine off my barrel give me away.

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 11:48:27 PM »
Its fine the way it is. Even if it shines, and it wont if you use the shade. All kinds of things shine in the woods. They just don't reflect like a mirror. The turkey guns I have painted or had dipped were the matt black ones like Remington express that would develop surface rust. I hate putting any kind of rust in my gun safe. I also had an old sears single shot that was blued that would rust and I rattle canned it. Ugly but no rust and shoots great. If you are happy with yours the way it is leave it that way and dont listen to what your buddy has to say about it. If last year was your first year turkey hunting and you wind up liking it you will own a couple more turkey guns in future years anyway.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 02:45:57 PM »
No self-respecting turkey hunter enters the woods with a shotgun that isn't totally camo-ed!  Don't you know nuttin?!  Besides them tarkeys seein' ya, if you get spotted by any other turkey hunter, your reputation is shot and you will forever be looked upon as a goober!

Seriously, a camouflaged gun is not necessary if, as others have already stated, you take into account such things as sun reflection off of the barrel or other shiny parts.  If you just want to camo your gun, however, the camo wrap/tape products available work well and are inexpensive and come in just about any camo pattern you could possibly want.   :icon_thumright:   ;)

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 05:24:38 PM »
Don't pet the sweaty stuff and don't sweat the petty stuff.  If you want a dipped gun, dip it.  Otherwise, tell your friend that you don't need a crutch.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 01:23:21 PM »
No self-respecting turkey hunter enters the woods with a shotgun that isn't totally camo-ed!  Don't you know nuttin?!  Besides them tarkeys seein' ya, if you get spotted by any other turkey hunter, your reputation is shot and you will forever be looked upon as a goober!

Seriously, a camouflaged gun is not necessary if, as others have already stated, you take into account such things as sun reflection off of the barrel or other shiny parts.  If you just want to camo your gun, however, the camo wrap/tape products available work well and are inexpensive and come in just about any camo pattern you could possibly want.   :icon_thumright:   ;)

Right on point. Do be aware should you use one the camo self adhesive wraps ( like a self adhesive bandage ) that if they get damp/wet they`ll hold moisture and you`ll want to unwrap your gun and wipe down/lite lube to prevent possible surface rust. Otherwise, they`ll do the job.

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 08:24:39 AM »
I don’t think it’s necessary but I personally prefer it. Camo everything if I can.

I think it’s okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 07:26:41 PM »
Not necessary to dip your gun. I was hunting with my dad and his gun had a factory dip. He was 20 yds away sitting against a tree. The sun reflected off his gun just like undipped gun. Stuck out like a sore thumb.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Gebones

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 09:57:03 PM »
New to Turkey hunting and regarding camo'd guns, I am also just wondering why people cerakote half the gun and then camo dip the other half. Why not just dip the entire gun after the barrel and receiver are cerakoted?

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2020, 10:16:41 PM »
If it bothers you buy 3 cans of spray paint. Flat black. Flat green and flat brown. Total cost is about $10. Get creative and the turkeys won't have any idea it's not an expensive dip job. There's some neat videos on youtube about painting a gun.

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 06:40:01 AM »
I love my Mossberg 500 with the spray job.  I did mine about 12 years ago.  It replaced a bunch of wraps and tape-jobs that had not faired well over time.

I've got a pics and a story here somewhere . . .  fumble . . . fumble. . . ah, here:
Bubba Paints his Turkey Gun

Here's the finished product:

If you've got a shotgun you want to dedicate to turkeys, this is the way to go.  Camo dips get scratched up and look crappy.   Tapes, wraps and whatever just let the shotgun rust underneath.  Spray paint can be resprayed as often as you want, but mine's lasted since 2009. 

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2020, 08:20:51 AM »

Got to say that that is the best spray paint job I have ever seen on a gun.  Can't imagine how you got such great detail in the camo pattern using spray paint.  Great looking gun!  Nice work!