OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Barometric pressure

Started by LaLongbeard, June 17, 2020, 10:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaLongbeard

I'm sure most of us have heard the theory about the barometric pressure and its effect on Gobbling activity. Before this season I got the Barometer plus app to try it out. What I found was there may be Gobbling when the pressure is dropping and maybe not. But every single time the pressure was on the increase at daylight there was Gobbling. The best Gobbling day of the season followed 3 days of dropping pressure and maybe one or two gobbles on the limb and then silence, then the weather changed and there was a spike in the pressure from the last night all through the next morning. I heard several Gobblers in the same area and they gobbled a lot up into the morning. I'm going to hunt everyday anyway but this was interesting. And on the days the pressure spiked I knew they'd gobble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

bbcoach

Funny you brought this up but my 2 hunting buddies and myself have discussed something similar to this.  Over the last several years, we have all hunted different properties and different areas of our properties and have noticed that after a storm or low pressure moving though, the next day has very little gobbling but the second day after is magical.

mmorgan9812

Following

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

blake_08

I've read several studies where the data supports this very thing. I've also read studies that say barometric pressure affects deer movement more than lunar phase or any other single weather condition. Interesting stuff.

310 gauge

Like LaLongbeard, I'm gonna hunt every chance I get with such a short season. However, with deer hunting, waterfowl hunting and especially speckled trout fishing I'm gonna be after them during LOW pressure days. Just seems like the feed period is at it's peak during those times. Kind of like after a rain, no matter what time of day it is,turkeys are gonna be moving and you should already be waiting on 'em.

Dtrkyman

Dr. Michael Chamberlain talked about it on that meat eater podcast.

His studies showed a clear correlation between gobbling and rising pressure, he also stated falling pressure was likely pure silence!

I've said it for years, early spring in the Midwest, clear frosty mornings and the birds are on fire!!!

LaLongbeard

Another thing I did notice. It was the rising of the pressure that seemed to cause the increase in Gobbling. When I hunted the north the pressure was consistent over a few days, higher than in some other states and yet the Gobbling was about like a low pressure day. When the weather changed and the pressure increased from the steady high pressure of the previous days Gobbling increased noticeably. I have seen countless mornings when it's cold and clear and you would bet money it would be a good Gobbling day and nothing. I think it's the spike in pressure that sets them off and if the pressure is stable for a few days the Gobbling is average. Of course this is just one persons observations over one season but I did see a pattern. The app also has history graphs that you can look back over a few days or a whole month and compare to the days you heard a lot of gobbles. Using the graphs and my hunting notebook I can check the pressure on the good Gobbling days. 

LaLongbeard

RutnNStrutn

To my experience, cool, clear, crisp (aka. high barometric pressure) mornings have always been the best for gobbling. Still, there are some cool, clear, crisp mornings when they don't gobble at all. You're listening to the owls, the songbirds, crows, and have gone through all of your locator calls, and still no gobbles. You scratch your head and start hunting.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Howie g

Got to love a high pressure " rising " morning .  Makes all woods critters come alive ,, including myself ????

fishr64

Thanks for the information LALongbeard, very interesting. Where I hunt in PA we had over 2 weeks of 30.1-30.20 pressure and gobbling was very random to nonexistent. We then had a couple storms that rolled through and dropped the pressure and then once it climbed on one of the next 2 days they would gobble well. This year I was able to be in the woods more days and was tracking it as well.

Jester87

Cool experiment. A few years ago I started suffering from migraines during severe barometric changes. Its jokingly referred to as "my super power" accurately predicting the weather, but it gets miserable unless I take meds. I saw quite a bit of research supporting pressure changes affecting fish, animal (and now my) behavior too. I never thought to correlate it to gobbling!   

Gooserbat

I wholeheartedly believe that rising pressure above 30 percent equals talkative turkeys.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Greg Massey

I have always felt the increase in pressure , cause them to gobble more ... good post and read ...

shatcher

Makes sense.  A cold northeast wind seems to shut them down too.