turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Why a 20?

Started by Neill_Prater, June 01, 2020, 11:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KentuckyHeadhunter

I still love a 12ga with LBXR 6 shot.  Helps when you have a coyote at 30 yards. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Marc on June 02, 2020, 06:43:49 PM
What I will say, is that 1 lbs can make a difference...  A little for lugging around, but more noticeable when it comes to holding a gun up for long periods waiting to shoot that bird.
Good point.  And where that weight is distributed on the gun fully loaded makes a big difference for long holds.  Loaded pumps and semi-autos put more weight forward than a bolt action or break action.  My 20 gauge 11-87 and Savage 220 bolt weigh about the same.  Loaded with 3 shells the 11-87 feels noticeably heavier in the hands while shouldered.

3bailey3

I have never felt any 12 that fells like my M2 20.

redleg06

I've been shooting a 20 for about 10-11 years now and wouldn't try to convince someone one way or the other.

The reason I switched was a shoulder surgery so I wanted lighter recoil. After that, with TSS (we've handloaded for a long time) there was no reason to go back to the 12... 20 gauge was Lighter, shorter (I shoot a youth 870 with a 21" barrel), less recoil, cheaper shells, and the patterns with TSS (or other HTL loads) are more than adequate to kill birds. I just didnt have a good reason to take the 12 gauge anymore.

redleg06

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on June 02, 2020, 09:42:12 AM
This season I started hunting with a 20. I built it specifically for places where I'd be covering miles of ground or be walking up and down mountains.
I bought a used single shot H & R Topper in 20 gauge. I had the barrel cut down to 22 inches, and tapped to take a choke. Then I had the barrel drilled and tapped for a scope rail. Next I replaced the old wood stock with an AR style stock. I topped it off with an Indian Creek choke with .562 constriction and a Trijicon dual illumination (tritium and fiber optic) RMR green dot scope. It weighs in at 4 pounds, 12 ounces! That's quite a bit lighter than lugging around my 870 Supermag land cannon.
I shoot TSS through it and it throws a good pattern out to 55 yards.
I'll still hunt with my 12's but my 20 is a pleasure to carry. You don't even notice it on your shoulder. I don't mind the single shot either because it is exceedingly rare that I have to shoot more than once.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

That's badass...

Howie g

I switched to a 20 years back before it was the new thing , I switched because of the recoil of a 12 was making a already bad back worse . 
Pros = lighter / less recoil / easier to handle .
Cons = hmm ????

Tomfoolery

I originally switched to a 20 M2 for waterfowling. I hunt a lot guiding and shoot a lot of rounds, and often have to let a client use my gun because of their gun malfunctioning. with the 20 it works for adults and youngsters. I was hooked on the first hunt. So much lighter and recoil is way down. Which made me think, "this would be much more comfortable toting thru the woods" so I bought a choke and some tss and tried it out. Haven't touched my 12 ga in 3 years. I would like to get another 20 with a short barrel and set it up for turkey hunting exclusively, but until then i will continue to use my M2. Everyone that holds/uses my gun falls inove with it.