OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shakespeare Uglystick Question (Ultralight Spinning Reel)

Started by Sir-diealot, May 29, 2020, 04:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 29, 2020, 05:13:29 PM
Quote from: g8rvet on May 29, 2020, 05:01:41 PM
I do not like 2 piece rods, ever, unless there is a good reason to have one (like stowing somewhere when broken down-say as a rod for a camper or something).

I love 7' rods, but there will be a huge difference going from 5' to 7'.  It will give a totally different balance to the reel/rod combo.  I do not even mind heavy if a rod balances well.  And I am no rod/reel snob.  I fish Shimano reels (not the bottom end, but low end) and various rods.   The 7' will outcast a 5' and give you more backbone to fight a fish as well.  Since you use the rod to tire the fish, 7' is better than 5'.  But if you want a light little bream rod, you will be disappointed with a 7' rod.
I do not know the term "Bream rod", what does it mean? Just looking for a bit of a fight, when I moved here 30 years ago I had to get used to these smaller fish, I grew up fishing Lake Ontario and Erie and the fish were bigger and had a lot more fight to them normally, the fish here in the Finger Lakes to not seem to fight much so I would like something that would let me feel that a bit more without having to worry about snapping the rod.

If youre  looking to feel more you're first prob is you're using ugly sticks. They work and are tough but very insensitive.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Bowguy on May 30, 2020, 08:17:49 PM
I do not like 2 piece rods, ever, unless there is a good reason to have one (like stowing somewhere when broken down-say as a rod for a camper or something).

I love 7' rods, but there will be a huge difference going from 5' to 7'.  It will give a totally different balance to the reel/rod combo.  I do not even mind heavy if a rod balances well.  And I am no rod/reel snob.  I fish Shimano reels (not the bottom end, but low end) and various rods.   The 7' will outcast a 5' and give you more backbone to fight a fish as well.  Since you use the rod to tire the fish, 7' is better than 5'.  But if you want a light little bream rod, you will be disappointed with a 7' rod.
I do not know the term "Bream rod", what does it mean? Just looking for a bit of a fight, when I moved here 30 years ago I had to get used to these smaller fish, I grew up fishing Lake Ontario and Erie and the fish were bigger and had a lot more fight to them normally, the fish here in the Finger Lakes to not seem to fight much so I would like something that would let me feel that a bit more without having to worry about snapping the rod.

If youre  looking to feel more you're first prob is you're using ugly sticks. They work and are tough but very insensitive.
Please extrapolate.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

g8rvet

That was also my thought as well.  It it hard to adequately explain the difference that you feel when using a full graphite rod.  The sensitivity goes all the way down to the butt of the rod.  Better felt strikes lead to more hook sets and more catches.  I fish a lot of jigs with swim baits and it is a lot like worm fishing for bass.  When you can feel a strike on the fall you are way more prepared to set the hook.  I think it helps some for fighting the fish as well, but more of the benefit is in the sensitivity of full graphite vs glass  or glass composite rods.  I have not owned a glass rod in 30 years.  Cabelas makes very affordable graphite rods that are no where near top of the line, but very serviceable. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Bowguy

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 31, 2020, 04:57:44 PM

Please extrapolate.
The materials used are insensitive. Pick up almost any other rod and you'll be better off. You'll lose the toughness though.
Get yourself a St Croix and be done

g8rvet

I know I probably got a lemon, but I will never buy another St. Croix rod.  Two of the eyes messed up (were abrading the line) within 2 months of purchase.  Oh well, poo happens, I will just get the warranty done.  Can't return it local, had to send to St. Croix.  They wanted $25 plus I pay shipping for a 2 month old rod!   

I have bought custom since - same or less money and warrantied until the custom maker or I croak, whichever is first.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: g8rvet on May 31, 2020, 09:04:00 PM
That was also my thought as well.  It it hard to adequately explain the difference that you feel when using a full graphite rod.  The sensitivity goes all the way down to the butt of the rod.  Better felt strikes lead to more hook sets and more catches.  I fish a lot of jigs with swim baits and it is a lot like worm fishing for bass.  When you can feel a strike on the fall you are way more prepared to set the hook.  I think it helps some for fighting the fish as well, but more of the benefit is in the sensitivity of full graphite vs glass  or glass composite rods.  I have not owned a glass rod in 30 years.  Cabelas makes very affordable graphite rods that are no where near top of the line, but very serviceable.

Thank you much for the explanation. Right now I have to get what I can afford and those rods the last time I checked were over $100.00 and I just can't justify that for something I only do a few times a year. Hunting gear is different, I am always out hunting something so I spend more on my hunting gear.

Quote from: Bowguy on June 01, 2020, 05:31:40 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 31, 2020, 04:57:44 PM

Please extrapolate.
The materials used are insensitive. Pick up almost any other rod and you'll be better off. You'll lose the toughness though.
Get yourself a St Croix and be done

I just looked up the price of St Croix rods and from what I saw the cheapest was 120 and that is just more than I am willing to spend on fishing gear, I just can't justify that for something I only do a few times a year with friends. If I were into fishing the way some of my friends are that may be different. I do thank you for your suggestion though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Bowguy

I understand if it's higher priced than you want. Any full graphite type rod would be better than a glass one. Try the cabelas as suggested above

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Bowguy on June 01, 2020, 04:30:02 PM
I understand if it's higher priced than you want. Any full graphite type rod would be better than a glass one. Try the cabelas as suggested above
I will look into them, thank you very much.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: g8rvet on June 01, 2020, 08:47:23 PM
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/berkley-lightning-rod-spinning-rod

or splurge a little

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-micro-lite-graphite-spinning-rod
Thank you for the links, it would not be much of a splurge, I have a $25.00 gift card and about the same in rewards on my credit card. I am going to have to stop at a friends house and handle one of his fishing poles before I commit, I seem to remember having a problem with poles with cork handles but it has been so long I do not recall what it was. I feel rude saying that and I am sorry, it is the reason I tend to buy the same things over and over, with the hand problems some things can be uncomfortable that you would not think would be. I truly do appreciate you trying to help.

Do you have an idea of what sort of hooks I should use for catch and release? I understand there are some that will do less damage. I seem to remember I always used Eagle Claw hooks but I am not married to them and would be more than willing to chance to help the fish.

John Koenig:

NCL

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 01, 2020, 08:56:09 PM

or splurge a little

Thank you for the links, it would not be much of a splurge, I have a $25.00 gift card and about the same in rewards on my credit card. I am going to have to stop at a friends house and handle one of his fishing poles before I commit, I seem to remember having a problem with poles with cork handles but it has been so long I do not recall what it was. I feel rude saying that and I am sorry, it is the reason I tend to buy the same things over and over, with the hand problems some things can be uncomfortable that you would not think would be. I truly do appreciate you trying to help.

Do you have an idea of what sort of hooks I should use for catch and release? I understand there are some that will do less damage. I seem to remember I always used Eagle Claw hooks but I am not married to them and would be more than willing to chance to help the fish.

For catch and release go barbless hooks, either purchase barbless or use a pliers and bend the barb down or file if off. I  do all catch and release, actually wild steelhead are. for the most part. required to be release unharmed,at least one state requires the fish not be removed from the water.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: NCL on June 02, 2020, 07:40:47 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 01, 2020, 08:56:09 PM

or splurge a little

For catch and release go barbless hooks, either purchase barbless or use a pliers and bend the barb down or file if off. I  do all catch and release, actually wild steelhead are. for the most part. required to be release unharmed,at least one state requires the fish not be removed from the water.
Thank you very much.

John Koenig:

NCL

Steve,

One other thought, look at the used market for a rod. I only fly fish and those rods are very expensive and I have purchased several rods that were in like new condition for a about half of what they would retail. The down side to the used market is finding what you want so you have to be patient. Just google fishing site and many have classified sections. I visit a few but those are fly fishing oriented so those do not have much conventional gear. 

Sir-diealot

Quote from: NCL on June 03, 2020, 10:15:27 AM
Steve,

One other thought, look at the used market for a rod. I only fly fish and those rods are very expensive and I have purchased several rods that were in like new condition for a about half of what they would retail. The down side to the used market is finding what you want so you have to be patient. Just google fishing site and many have classified sections. I visit a few but those are fly fishing oriented so those do not have much conventional gear.
Good idea, thank you very much.

John Koenig:

roberthyman14

Pretty much have changed to non offset circle hooks for almost all live baiting.  No need to set the hook and it goes right in the corner of the mouth 99% of the time.  Buy or have someone make up a long shank dehooker and you can flip the fish right off without touching them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk