News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Covid and wild turkeys

Started by nativeks, May 26, 2020, 04:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSlam51

Quote from: sbbow on May 27, 2020, 04:19:37 PM
Maybe they should drop the tag limits down an no more all day hunting. Nothing wrong with hunting til 1:00 like here in Missouri. There are some states where they can kill I think 4 don't quote me on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bag limit is 5 in Alabama, Steve. Which is crazy lol

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Quote from: BigSlam51 on May 27, 2020, 04:50:30 PM
Maybe they should drop the tag limits down an no more all day hunting. Nothing wrong with hunting til 1:00 like here in Missouri. There are some states where they can kill I think 4 don't quote me on this.

The researchers in this paper suggested hunters self regulate. Just because one receives 2, 3, 4, or 5 tags doesn't mean that person needs to punch all of them.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

sbbow

Quote from: paboxcall on May 27, 2020, 06:02:08 PM

The researchers in this paper suggested hunters self regulate. Just because one receives 2, 3, 4, or 5 tags doesn't mean that person needs to punch all of them.

BigSlam51

Quote from: paboxcall on May 27, 2020, 06:02:08 PM

The majority of hunters won't though.

Spurs Up

Most hunters won't even kill one. Even fewer will kill 2. Still fewer, 3. Very small percentages will tag out.

fallhnt

IL stops at 1:00....it sucks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

budtripp

Quote from: Fullfan on May 27, 2020, 07:07:54 AM
I saw that in 2020 Missouri had the second lowest harvest in 15 years. And it was not because there were no hunters. Been hunting there for 28 years, seen more guys this year than I ever have. And even worse was Pa.

Missouri killed around 40,000 this year actually. Down from the 60000 killed in our heyday, but not down from the new normal.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: budtripp on May 30, 2020, 10:17:51 PM
I saw that in 2020 Missouri had the second lowest harvest in 15 years. And it was not because there were no hunters. Been hunting there for 28 years, seen more guys this year than I ever have. And even worse was Pa.

Missouri killed around 40,000 this year actually. Down from the 60000 killed in our heyday, but not down from the new normal.

I'm also willing to bet Missouri had as much hunting pressure as it ever has before with folks off work and non-resident pressure. Especially with Kansas, Nebraska, and Kentucky being closed to non-residents. I know the region of Missouri I hunt was as crowded as its been in the past 13 seasons.

silvestris

Nothin' like introducing others or uTubers to fill up the woods.  If you love it, you better keep your mouth shut.  Unfortunately it is too late now.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

budtripp

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on May 30, 2020, 10:50:24 PM
Quote from: budtripp on May 30, 2020, 10:17:51 PM

I'm also willing to bet Missouri had as much hunting pressure as it ever has before with folks off work and non-resident pressure. Especially with Kansas, Nebraska, and Kentucky being closed to non-residents. I know the region of Missouri I hunt was as crowded as its been in the past 13 seasons.

Bout the same amount of pressure as I normally see in my neck of the woods at least. But I'm sure some other areas got pounded more than usual. I actually don't know of many people who were off work except schoolteachers and hairdressers. We's all "essential" I guess

LaLongbeard

May have been more people in the woods but they did not make much difference in Louisiana. 230 more Turkeys killed than 2019 but 100 of those extra were Jakes. Looks like we got some "Jake hunting" experts in La. You always hear the complaints of few Gobbling turkeys and then they go out of their way to kill the Jakes? Going by the Parish breakdown most of the increases were in areas with little or no public land and the public areas remained about the same. Mostly part timers on there pine plantation hog infested deer leases shooting what few turkeys they have. One silver lining with La killing maybe 1500-2000 turkeys statewide every year we don't have a lot of out of state pressure even most of the Arkansas hunters drive around La.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

paboxcall

From Maryland DNR:

Maryland hunters reported harvesting 4,303 wild turkeys during the 2020 regular spring and junior hunt turkey seasons, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources announced. This year's harvest surpassed the previous high of 4,175, set in 2017, and was 8% higher than the 2019 harvest of 4,002 turkeys.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

ferocious calls

If we went to hand catching only there would be very few taken. Oh and it is possible. Caught and released a longbeard strutting in the yard last year. No kid.

RutnNStrutn

I can honestly say that it isn't my fault. 3 of my out of state trips got cancelled, and I only got to hunt for 12 days thanks to Coronapanic. I bagged one gobbler in SC where the non-resident bag limit was already reduced by 1 this season.
The reason for the reduction was solely to get non-residents out of the woods earlier and create better hunting for the resident hunters, who's bag limit was not reduced despite the fact there are hell of a lot more resident hunters. The decision had absolutely nothing to do with turkey management.
So Tennessee, NC, and other states don't have the market cornered when it comes to stupid management decisions. SC is right up there with them.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: fallhnt on May 26, 2020, 06:57:11 PM
Quote from: silvestris on May 26, 2020, 05:58:13 PM
Getting rid of decoys, all decoys, would be a good and safe step.
Stopping ALL spring turkey hunting would be better.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Stopping all spring turkey hunting, this coming from a guy who's username is FALLHNT. No bias or alterior motives there.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.