OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Covid and wild turkeys

Started by nativeks, May 26, 2020, 04:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativeks

https://www.grayssportingjournal.com/a-commentary-on-potential-implications-of-the-covid-19-pandemic-on-wild-turkey-populations/

Synopsis we killed way too many turkeys in several states. Thr paper is by Dr. Chamberlain and a professor from LSU.

brittman

Simply a hypothesis at this point.

paboxcall

Quote from: brittman on May 26, 2020, 04:57:38 PM
Simply a hypothesis at this point.

What is a hypothesis is this documented increased in harvest rates may have a detrimental impact on population.

What is fact is, copied directly from the article, "As of today:

• harvest during the first 23 days of the statewide season in Georgia is 26% greater than in 2019, and 43% higher on public lands – despite no appreciable recent increases in production across populations.
  • Furthermore, the percentages of hunters that have harvested 2 birds has increased 34%, whereas hunters harvesting 3 birds (state bag limit) has increased 46% from 2019.
  • In Mississippi, statewide harvest numbers are currently similar to previous years, but harvest on state WMAs has increased by 60% relative to 2019.
  • In North Carolina, 2020 harvest is up 34.8% over the average from the previous 3 years.
  • In Tennessee, statewide harvest is currently 50% higher than at this same point in the 2019 season.
  • And in Louisiana, youth season harvest increased 47% and 2020 harvest for the 1st week of the turkey season is up 13.6%"
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

GobbleNut

Quote from: paboxcall on May 26, 2020, 05:24:17 PM

What is a hypothesis is this documented increased in harvest rates may have a detrimental impact on population.

What is fact is, copied directly from the article, "As of today:

• harvest during the first 23 days of the statewide season in Georgia is 26% greater than in 2019, and 43% higher on public lands – despite no appreciable recent increases in production across populations.
  • Furthermore, the percentages of hunters that have harvested 2 birds has increased 34%, whereas hunters harvesting 3 birds (state bag limit) has increased 46% from 2019.
  • In Mississippi, statewide harvest numbers are currently similar to previous years, but harvest on state WMAs has increased by 60% relative to 2019.
  • In North Carolina, 2020 harvest is up 34.8% over the average from the previous 3 years.
  • In Tennessee, statewide harvest is currently 50% higher than at this same point in the 2019 season.
  • And in Louisiana, youth season harvest increased 47% and 2020 harvest for the 1st week of the turkey season is up 13.6%"

Yup.  If there is a silver lining to be had from all of this, it is that perhaps this will force some state wildlife managers to actually rethink things like starting spring seasons too early and treating spring and fall turkey limits like they are dealing with waterfowl. 

shatcher

I just posted in another thread that TN took 40,000 birds this year.  The historical average the last several years has been more like 28,000.  We cannot sustain that.

silvestris

Getting rid of decoys, all decoys, would be a good and safe step.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Happy hooker

Here in Minnesota fishing licenses are up 45%,,and we already have one of the highest population of fisherman and destination fishing vacation visitors.
Obviously people have more time to fish and are also probably using fish has a food source durring the virus. May see many more deer hunters too this fall.

Happy

Interested. I need to look up the overall harvest numbers in the states I hunt and compare them to previous years. My initial impression in my immediate areas was more people were definitely out but I dont think they were very successful. Matter of fact I had more trouble avoiding the redneck Range Rovers(side x sides) than actual hunters. I swear those things have become a status symbol amongst the trailer dwellers. It seemed I could never get away from them. Both pleasure riders and rifle toters.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Pluffmud

I think it was a combination of skill and luck, but I managed to tag out this year 3 weeks early. I've seen more people on public land this year than ever before, to be expected with the virus. I talked to a lot of people and most said they were unsuccessful. Some could have been lying, sure. I took my wife out a few times after I tagged out and I saw the same guys up until the last weekend, so I assume they didn't tag out.

Obviously more turkeys were going to be killed this year. I don't believe that we need to change any limits on my state as of yet. Seems like a knee jerk reaction due to sticker shock of higher than normal harvest numbers. Next year, the harvest numbers will be lower if people are working again. I'm just not buying into the "we need to save the turkeys" bandwagon without seeing some hardcore long term data on who, how, and why they are declining.
Psalm 46:10

fallhnt

Quote from: silvestris on May 26, 2020, 05:58:13 PM
Stopping ALL spring turkey hunting would be better.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

BigSlam51

Quote from: fallhnt on May 26, 2020, 06:57:11 PM

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Goodtimekiller

Seems like that's what a lot of the ol timers want. Can't take the competition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

We will track Jersey numbers when they come in. Usually 3000 birds are harvested. 10,000 permits sold. 10% success rate. Let's see this year,.....stay tuned......
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

Well if this is the case , lets get rid of all the shotguns and calls ....this would definitely be a good step.. getting rid of one is just as good, getting rid of another in my opinion..

Greg Massey

x2 AMEN and the shotguns and calls...