OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

15 shot and 2 dead.

Started by fallhnt, May 18, 2020, 08:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallhnt

^^^That's horrible

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

GobbleNut

Quote from: nativeks on May 27, 2020, 08:21:49 AM
https://www.kansas.com/news/state/article242816791.html

Definitely one of those cases where, if they catch the guy, they throw him in jail and throw away the key.

eggshell

I read the Kansas story and I can't even post what my mind thought should be done with the offender. I believe in forgiveness and second chances, but I also believe in consequences for actions. Even God sets standards of punishment in his word. Do the crime and do the time. I am also happy to see such strong support for the family, and the fact it was reported in the article. Hunters as a group are more often compassionate and caring people and the one idiot should not be the story that labels us all.

Howie g

I read the story . Maybe I'm a softy but tears where rolling .   My God I hope they throw the shooter in jail for as long as the law allows .

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

fallhnt

Quote from: silvestris on May 27, 2020, 08:15:46 PM
Another decoy incident.
Just another idiot with a gun

GobbleNut

Preface this question with the comment that I am not trying to start another bickering match here, but has anybody heard of any hunting accident this spring related to "reaping"?  I have not personally seen any,...and our discussions here always center around the perceived danger associated with it. 

So, does anybody know of any documented cases this spring of someone getting shot while reaping?  Just curious....  No personal opinions needed,...or conjecture.  As Sgt. Friday says,..."Just the facts, ma'am?"  :)

eggshell

In all honesty I have never heard of a shooting involving  reaping. Another saying, "Perception is reality".

QuoteReality is what we take to be true. What we take to be true is what we believe. What we believe is based upon our perceptions. What we perceive depends upon what we look for. What we look for depends upon what we think. What we think depends upon what we perceive. What we perceive determines what we believe. What we believe determines what we take to be true. What we take to be true is our reality.
Gary Zukav

I certainly am guilty of this and that is the value of discussion and even debate, that truth is sought and hopefully is revealed. Human nature is that we hate to be wrong, some can accept it more willingly than others....I have my moments on both sides.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: eggshell on May 28, 2020, 10:06:28 AM
In all honesty I have never heard of a shooting involving  reaping. Another saying, "Perception is reality".

The first fanning fatality occurred ~2014 in Virginia. Mentions it in the following article.

https://www.thefranklinnewspost.com/news/turkey-fanning-effective-way-to-hunt-but-is-it-safe/article_09a16058-2692-11e7-adfd-2f52203883e5.html

There have been numerous incidents since. A quick google search will reveal several.

Here is a link to two 'reapers' shot in Kansas in 2017.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017/04/18/hunter-shoots-two-partners-hiding-behind-turkey-fan/

Once we get a few more fatalities out of the way, hopefully there will be a major push to ban it and any 'fan' type decoys.

Marc

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 27, 2020, 09:09:49 AM
Quote from: nativeks on May 27, 2020, 08:21:49 AM
https://www.kansas.com/news/state/article242816791.html

Definitely one of those cases where, if they catch the guy, they throw him in jail and throw away the key.
Unless the parents catch him...  In which case he might not make it to prison...  Or at least be a bit worse for wear when he is turned in to the authorities.

But, unfortunately, I would guess the guy would get a couple years if he were caught....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

eggshell

Thanks for the info. deerhunt1988. I never saw those reports, nor have I ever googled reaping accidents. I was totally truthful, I never heard of any.  If you go back  through the thread you will find I am against reaping on the basis of safety. What I highly value though is truth and I think that these discussions do bring out truth. Your two examples are part of that quest, for sure. Not being argumentative in any form, Gobblenut asked about current cases, but it's fair to site past examples for historic perspective. With that said, two cases in 6 years is not a lot for a case study. In those 6 years there have most likely been many more incidents involving other techniques. I think it still comes down to one simple principle that is most common in all hunting incidents; target identification! If you study and positively identify your target there is no way someone should be shot fanning, calling, walking or anything else. I have watched several videos of fanning and I yet to see one I would have shot at. I like my birds close and I like to see their eyes.

I once knew a guy who shot a wildflower (a trillium bloom to be exact) because he thought it looked like the top of a gobblers head. He was actually telling other hunters about it and thought it was funny. That is the problem, front and foremost.

In using my best common sense and knowing there are people out there like the above mentioned fellow, it still seems like a practice that I perceive as unsafe. However, the question I think that is being asked, is there factual evidence to support it as more unsafe than any other technique?

fallhnt

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on May 28, 2020, 02:02:12 PM
Quote from: eggshell on May 28, 2020, 10:06:28 AM

The first fanning fatality occurred ~2014 in Virginia. Mentions it in the following article.

https://www.thefranklinnewspost.com/news/turkey-fanning-effective-way-to-hunt-but-is-it-safe/article_09a16058-2692-11e7-adfd-2f52203883e5.html

There have been numerous incidents since. A quick google search will reveal several.

Here is a link to two 'reapers' shot in Kansas in 2017.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017/04/18/hunter-shoots-two-partners-hiding-behind-turkey-fan/

Once we get a few more fatalities out of the way, hopefully there will be a major push to ban it and any 'fan' type decoys.
Just ban gun hunting.

eggshell

fallhnt- I was shot with a crossbow. No weapon is to blame, it's people

Howie g

Yes , let's only Bowhunt turkeys ,  but let's Bowhunt with out tent blinds and deeks .    Now we huntin !!