OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any recommendations for snake boots?

Started by WVhuntEER, May 16, 2011, 01:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVhuntEER

I hunt in a lot of snake infested areas.  I bought some Cabela's Pinnacle zippered snake boots this year that were supposed to be waterproof.  Well, after walking through some wet fields I found out the hard way they weren't.  :(    I am looking at the Danner Pronghorns.  Does anyone have any experience with these boots?   I just don't want something that leaks.  I am also looking at the Cabela's lace up ones but am a little leery since they may be about the same as the ones I just had. 

CASH

Whatever you get, pay the extra money for ones with a Gore Tex liner.  I'm partial to Rocky.  Love them.  I also put a couple coats of silicone based waterproofing spray on new boots.  Above all though, get Gore Tex
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Tail Feathers

I have the Pinnacle snake boots and they were only waterproof for one season.

I have the BassPro laceups and they lost waterproof after a couple of seasons.

From all I've read, none stay waterproof forever.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

neal

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

coachmitchel

I have a cabelas set and had not issue for 2 years now

gobbler336

spend the money and buy the danner pronghorns, none better in my opinion.  light, comfortable, durabe,  very flexible, and  very waterproof,  don't know about the snakeproof part, and hope i never do!

RS

I've used a pair of these for 3 years now, both spring and fall, mostly in the NC coastal plain. Just like you I got tired of my lace up lacrosse sankeboots leaking by walking through grass with a heavy dew.  They may be a little warm in hot weather, but they are both waterproof and snake proof.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Muck8482-Woody-Armour-Boots/1148152.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dwoody%2Barmour%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D17%26y%3D6&Ntt=woody+armour&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

LX_Trkyhntr

Quote from: gobbler336 on May 16, 2011, 02:31:56 PM
spend the money and buy the danner pronghorns, none better in my opinion.  light, comfortable, durabe,  very flexible, and  very waterproof,  don't know about the snakeproof part, and hope i never do!

That's what I wear, I love them!
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

gobbler336

i have heard those mucks tear easily on limbs, and birars are heck on them?  have ya'll had that problem.

RS

I've heard the same thing about the regular Muck boots, but that's not a problem with the Woody Armours.  I know mine have been through some pretty nasty stuff in the last 3 years.  I wouldn't want a "snakeproof" boot that could be stuck by briar or stick anyway.

mossy835

I have a pair of North lake Gore Tex that is over twenty years old (not snake boots) and they are still water proof today. Paid a price for them but for deer, elk, prospecting and now turkey hunting they do the job.

fl panhandler

I've been using Russell mocassins turtleskin turkey hunter snake boots for quite a while.  Six years I think.  They are still waterproof, and best of all still snakeproof.  They are NOT inexpensive but they are worth it IMHO. Check them out, they will be the last pair of snakes boots you will have to buy, and made in the USA.
Rick

bobk

gatrapper

"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

Jay Longhauser

RS,

do you know if the woody armors are really made to be a snake proof boot?  When I first saw them I thought the ads said they were snake proof, but all the recent ads Ive seen don't say anything specific about snakes?    I love my regular muck boots and Im hoping the armors are truely snake proof.