OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Must read books

Started by Firemt04, May 15, 2020, 11:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firemt04

What is on your list of must read books for turkey hunting or just hunting in general? I know that the Tenth Legion is probably at the top of most lists, but what else? I'm not an avid reader, but I do occasionally enjoy sitting and reading so I'm looking for recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

One man game
East of the Slash
Wild Turkeys and Mongrel Dogs
Old Turkey Pro
Native Turkeys
There are more thats good but these are my top picks. Not neccessarilly in this order. All are great reads.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

paboxcall

Better on a Rising Tide and Dealer's Choice.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Ozarks Hillbilly

The Old Pro Turkey Hunter Gene Nunnery

A One Man Game  Kenny Morgan

Bad Birds  Jim Spencer

Greatest Gobblers  Larry Dablemont

Ray Eye has a couple of how too's

Col. Tom Kelly

For hunting and Shotgunning I enjoy reading Gene Hill, Steve Smith, Burton Spiller, and Jack O'Connor.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Marc

I heard Jack Carr talking on a podcast, and really want to read some of his books...  Ex Seal writing action fiction, based on his experience in the Seals...  Guy is an avid hunter/fisher as well...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Ranger

First three Ozarks Hillbilly mentioned and Tenth Legion. The Bad Birds by Jim Spencer has turned out to be a good one
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Dtrkyman

Not hunting but about turkey, Illumination in the flatwoods, Joe Hutto

Better by far imho than all the hunting books

Mossberg90MN

I enjoyed "Wild Turkeys; Hunting and Watching" and yea of course can't go wrong with the Tenth Legion.

bigriverbum

I love anything John Gierach writes.

All trout related, but you don't have to fly fish to enjoy his work.

Firemt04

Lots of good suggestions. Looks like I've got some reading to do.

Sir-diealot

Old Pro Turkey Hunter was quite good

Haunted by the Gobble' by Ted Rize is so good I think it will end up a classic, that is why I stopped reading my first edition sealed it in a plastic bag and ordered another copy of a later edition.

Somewhere Along The Way by Andy Johnson was very good, I like it more than his second book Dirt Woods and Dogwoods myself.

These 3 come to mind right away, I know there are others.

Oh here is a thread I did asking about turkey hunting books when I first got here, there sure are some good ones there. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,82172.msg797502.html#msg797502

Oh Jeepers how did I forget this one, I am reading Memories of Spring by Ron Jolly right now and it is very good.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Firemt04

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 17, 2020, 12:14:55 PM

Haunted by the Gobble' by Ted Rize is so good I think it will end up a classic, that is why I stopped reading my first edition sealed it in a plastic bag and ordered another copy of a later edition.

Somewhere Along The Way by Andy Johnson was very good, I like it more than his second book Dirt Woods and Dogwoods myself.

Oh here is a thread I did asking about turkey hunting books when I first got here, there sure are some good ones there. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,82172.msg797502.html#msg797502

Oh Jeepers how did I forget this one, I am reading Memories of Spring by Ron Jolly right now and it is very good.
There is a lot of good recommendations on that thread. Thanks for sharing.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Firemt04 on May 17, 2020, 12:35:12 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 17, 2020, 12:14:55 PM

There is a lot of good recommendations on that thread. Thanks for sharing.

Sure are, lot of good helpful people here. You're welcome.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

GobbleGitr

The books mentioned are all good ones.  For sure get the books by legends Dwain Bland (The Turkey Hunter's Digest) and Wayne Bailey  (Wayne's Turkey World: 60 Years of Hunting)...they are readily available, and if you can find Doug Camp's book (Turkey Hunting Spring and Fall) it is worth the price of admission.  Jim Casada's  'Remembering the Greats: Profiles of Turkey Hunting's Old Masters' is a wonderful look at many of the early personalities of turkey hunting.  A recent book that I enjoyed was 'Memories of Spring' by Ron Jolly...you can find the book or the author on FB.  For some of the best turkey hunting articles, any old turkey hunting magazine is a treasure trove.

Firemt04

Thanks for all the recommendations. I have been looking at "East of the Slash" and I have one question, is it worth the price? I see it going for big money, to me at least for a book. Seeing the price and how difficult it is to find it only peaks my curiosity more.