OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2 types of turkey hunters

Started by Spurs, May 15, 2020, 09:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

I think there needs to be a square root involved. And the whole ethical thing opens a whole other can of worms.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

RaspyD

There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys...turkey hunters can tell the difference less than a minute into a conversation.
Perfection Turkey Calls

Spurs

Quote from: RaspyD on May 15, 2020, 06:24:08 PM
There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys...turkey hunters can tell the difference less than a minute into a conversation.
A lot of truth to that too.
Quote from: PharmHunter on May 15, 2020, 02:54:40 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on May 15, 2020, 12:54:13 PM
What about the ones that spends all year practicing calling and trying to push themselves to realism. The whole idea of turkey hunting is deeper than just a pursuit or hobby. They like to read books and study not only hunting turkeys, but also the biology and vocalizations of the bird. They converse back and forth with others like them, enjoying each other's friendship and experience they bring to the table. These hunters do not always agree but they respect each other's view and think about it. They like to earn the turkeys they kill and sometimes willing to do what has to be done to kill one within the limits of legality and their personal standards. They do not try to push their standards on others but ask they are respected. They like to tinker with their guns and maybe load shells to help try to help with the anticipation of the season. They really do not get caught up in fan boy stuff or care about what camo is the fashionable thing but what will conceal them best in the areas they hunt.  They do not try to be on any pro staff or want to be instafamous. When the season finally arrives they are out to use every tag they have available but mostly look forward to being out in creation and enjoying the most wonderful time of the year. They share their hunts with their fellows friends. They share the ups and downs of the season not taking any of it for granted because it is too short and soon will be over. There will be mornings they can barely open their eyes but the thought of not seeing the conversion from night to day scares them so they jump up and get ready. They get home and they are tired but their family is there and the role of husband/father is way more important than the role of turkey hunter so they make the switch with a sleepy smile. When the season is over it takes some time to accept it, but they will remember and cherish the memories while starting the whole thing over waiting on the next spring to come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Excellent post, unlike the thread starter's.
Seriously? :help:

I just wrote that I typically see 2 (but really 3) types of hunter...of course there are some minor variations, but there ain't a dang thing wrong with either one...if you took some offense, you need to get that chip off your shoulder.

Quote from: warrent423 on May 15, 2020, 03:33:23 PM
Quote from: Spurs on May 15, 2020, 09:45:30 AM
It seems to me there are two types of turkey hunter; "Numbers Guys" and "Experience Guys".  Now I am not bashing anyone or the style that many people use, but I'm curious what everyone else's thoughts are. 

Numbers Guys:
These guys typically enjoy places out west.  They have full strut decoys, fans, shoot 3.5" 12 gauge, and have a minimum of 4 hunting decals on their back glass.

Experience Guys:
These guys will stick to mountains/hardwoods bottoms in the east.  Hunting public and/or Pinhoti apparel guaranteed, obsessed with being light weight, willing to sleep in their back seat for a week, and are more than willing to give advice on the benefits of gaiters. 

Am I missing anything?
These two types cover the new age social media fags, where is the category for the real deal, old school Turkey Hunters. That would be the "type" I would associate myself with.
This kinda puts some more clarity into what I was getting at...that's the greater population within the turkey hunting world at this time.
Quote from: Hobbes on May 15, 2020, 03:24:13 PM
What does "out West" have to do with anything?

It means that most guys who want to kill numbers go to places like Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, etc for more cooperative birds.  Don't get me wrong at all, I prefer the hardwoods mountains, but I can't wait to get out west again.
This year is going to suck!!!

Yoder409

There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys
...turkey hunters can tell the difference less than a minute into a conversation.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

I could probably write a small book on the differences between the two.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: DUCKDIGGLER on May 15, 2020, 01:20:19 PM
What about the ones that spends all year practicing calling and trying to push themselves to realism. The whole idea of turkey hunting is deeper than just a pursuit or hobby. They like to read books and study not only hunting turkeys, but also the biology and vocalizations of the bird. They converse back and forth with others like them, enjoying each other's friendship and experience they bring to the table. These hunters do not always agree but they respect each other's view and think about it. They like to earn the turkeys they kill and sometimes willing to do what has to be done to kill one within the limits of legality and their personal standards. They do not try to push their standards on others but ask they are respected. They like to tinker with their guns and maybe load shells to help try to help with the anticipation of the season. They really do not get caught up in fan boy stuff or care about what camo is the fashionable thing but what will conceal them best in the areas they hunt.  They do not try to be on any pro staff or want to be instafamous. When the season finally arrives they are out to use every tag they have available but mostly look forward to being out in creation and enjoying the most wonderful time of the year. They share their hunts with their fellows friends. They share the ups and downs of the season not taking any of it for granted because it is too short and soon will be over. There will be mornings they can barely open their eyes but the thought of not seeing the conversion from night to day scares them so they jump up and get ready. They get home and they are tired but their family is there and the role of husband/father is way more important than the role of turkey hunter so they make the switch with a sleepy smile. When the season is over it takes some time to accept it, but they will remember and cherish the memories while starting the whole thing over waiting on the next spring to come.

SO MUCH THIS!!! Very well said.  :z-winnersmiley:

Thos sums me up to a tee.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Howie g

Not sure where I fall in these categories,  I just know after 40 years of chasing them my eyes still light up just like they did when I yelped up my lst one in sw ms 40 + years ago . 
I guess after I'm gone , I hope folks say he sure loved and respected the pursuit...

paboxcall

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Marc

I enjoy hunting and fooling turkeys on my terms...  Those terms can change depending on the year...  But in general there has to be a conversational interaction between myself and the turkey at some point...

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Sir-diealot

Not sure where I would fit there, I could care less about numbers, I am just grateful to be able to hunt after losing it for 17 years. Sometimes I bring decoys, this year I have not even taken them out of the closet and the season is half over.

Sometimes I bring a ton of stuff and sometimes I bring very little. (Always a lot of strikers though) This year I have made some fun for myself doing different days, I have done "Tulipwood Tuesday", "Made it Monday" where only calls or strikers I have made come along  "Mouthcall Mondays" where I only use diaphragm calls, yelpers or wingbones. and other novel days just for the fun of it. I am going to do "Slate Saturday or Sunday" this weekend I have enough slate calls to make it interesting. I think I may take a box call each day as well.

If I could I would gladly sleep in a vehicle, not in the cards right now, Covid 19 messed that up for me or I would have a van with a bed in the back.

I just want to enjoy the sounds and views of the morning each time it is out, if I get a turkey then that is an added bonus for sure!
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Cottonmouth

I love to hunt turkeys that other guys give up on. I guess I'm hard headed enough to stick with them until one of us gives up.

Southerngobbler

Don't forget hot Asian chicks-that could be a type of turkey hunter as well, at least I hope so.

bonasa

Quote from: Southerngobbler on May 15, 2020, 09:54:29 PM
Don't forget hot Asian chicks-that could be a type of turkey hunter as well, at least I hope so.

Hey now

PharmHunter

Seriously? :help:

I just wrote that I typically see 2 (but really 3) types of hunter...of course there are some minor variations, but there ain't a dang thing wrong with either one...if you took some offense, you need to get that chip off your shoulder.

I didn't take offense to anything bud, just thought your generalizations were extremely general is all.   :icon_thumright:

perrytrails

Does it make a difference either way or anyway?

Doesn't matter what you wear or what you use, or where you hunt.

Enjoy the sport, most importantly
Pass it on.

owlhoot

Good post.

Agree with that. To add never minded having a tag left on the last day or if I didn't would sure ask around if someone needed an experienced caller to help them out.