turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

11 turkey hunters shot with 2 deaths reported so far

Started by MDSTRUTNRUT, May 09, 2020, 12:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDSTRUTNRUT

Daughter sent me the link to this blog just UNBELIEVABLE SCARY STORIES, can't over emphasize the need for safety and awareness of your surroundings even on private.    Guy getting shot with crossbow, hunter was shooting at the a hen decoy head sticking out of a turkey vest then bolt hit partner in boot   THAT JUST GIVES ME NITEMARES.    When I teach hunter safety always stress that turkey season is  VERY DANGEROUS in regards to getting shot  although treestands are responsible for way more accidents and deaths.    The chance of getting shot as far as percentages for numbers of hunters is extremely low however if you're the one getting shot then odds and percentages don't mean a thing.   Prayers for hunters and families   BE SAFE EVERYONE!!!

http://www.turkey-talk.com/tblog/?p=1736   

Tom007

Wow. Scary. Pray for the families involved.....

doublespurs21

how the hell do you shoot at a turkey decoy sticking out of a vest????

Yoteduster

There must be alot of idiots in the woods in some places some of these accidents are pure stupidity

Jroddc

Quote from: doublespurs21 on May 09, 2020, 12:45:01 PM
  how the hell do you shoot at a turkey decoy sticking out of a vest????
I know like I can't imagine being the guy to take that shot, beforehand thinking to myself (oh that's a good shot) people amaze me... what a shame

Jroddc

Quote from: Yoteduster on May 09, 2020, 01:54:49 PM
There must be alot of idiots in the woods in some places some of these accidents are pure stupidity
X2 Seriously unbelievable

Will

This is very concerning. This virus has everything shut down and suddenly you have a bunch of people who normally don't turkey hunt now do. Plus with the colder weather I've noticed an increase in participation around my areas where guys don't normally because of the bugs. Boat ramps have been closed when most guys are fishing and warmer weather brings out the bugs. I hunt until the end no matter how warm and humid it is. I've seen some really stupid crap from other hunters on places I hunt. Driving trucks down the fire roads to set up blinds, parking trucks on fire road travel corridors and crow calling before the sun even breaks. If I'm seeing this dumb crap I can't imagine safety is not of top priority.

guesswho

Nothing surprises me anymore.

I would love to see a profile of each shooter.  Age, gender, hunting experience, background etc.   There was an incident a couple weeks ago in Alabama where an 11 year old boy was shot and killed and his father was wounded.  This was during a wounded warrior hunt.   The veteran who they were hosting was the shooter. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

eggshell

QuoteTHAT JUST GIVES ME NITEMARES.
10-4 that good buddy....a turkey hunting accident is relived every time you hear a story about one, it's a life long curse. I won't bother explaining how I know.

Chad

4 out of 8 reports were of kids being shot. That's a lot especially considering the low number of kids hunting. Wonder why? Moving more? Closer to the ground?

Howie g

My dad taught me defensive driving before he let me get on a highway .
   Looks like we need to teach our kids " defensive turkey tactics " ..   
  Like others have said . Seems the older I get the less things surprise me anymore .
  With tss carrying so  flat and far , with decoy use , with gota post pics on Facebook crowd etc , I see these accidents happening more and more .   I pray this year was just a fluke year with so many folks hunting from out of work folks .... if not ?    We will hear more and more accidents ,,, sad ????

Will

You guys bring up a great point when mentioning experience and age along with the fact that TSS can shoot farther

Happy

Might be time to start an apprenticeship program. Have to log some time under supervision before being released to hunt solo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

notsure

Considering how many people turkey hunt, I take this as good news. And there seems to be a lot of panic-pushers, aka Karen's, hanging around this site. Honestly, and not directed at the OP, do some of you have nothing better to occupy your day than act like scared 4th grade Girl Scouts screaming "The Worlds Gonna End!!!" all day long?!?!

guesswho

Quote from: notsure on May 09, 2020, 05:12:39 PM
Considering how many people turkey hunt, I take this as good news. And there seems to be a lot of panic-pushers, aka Karen's, hanging around this site. Honestly, and not directed at the OP, do some of you have nothing better to occupy your day than act like scared 4th grade Girl Scouts screaming "The Worlds Gonna End!!!" all day long?!?!
What are you talking about?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff