turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Late season South Dakota

Started by Kygobblergetter, May 08, 2020, 06:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kygobblergetter

I am heading to hunt the black hills of South Dakota for the first time ever May 16th. I know this is pretty late in the season does anybody know what to expect as far as how the birds are likely to be acting? Any other advice will be appreciated too as I'm new to hunting merriams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fallhnt

They don't act like Easterns. They travel far.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Greg Massey

Good luck with your hunt and safe travels ..

Mossberg90MN

Sounds fun, let us know how it goes! I hope to one day make it out there sometime and chase Merriams

Spring Creek Calls

Depending on how long your hunt will last, you should be beyond the henned up all day stage which can be very productive. Be prepared to cover some ground and stay out as long as possible, especially late morning. Be safe and let us know how you do.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

cutt down

Following....headed out the 16th also.....hunting the 19th through 22nd.

Hobbes

Cover ground calling and don't give up.  If a tom isn't interested early morning, he will likely change his mind mid to late morning if you can keep track of him.  Call to the hens if he's got them.

I like late season unless the weather gets hot.  It seems to slow them down.  Cool mornings and mild afternoons are my preference.  I may find less gobbling, but those that do are killable birds.

Kygobblergetter

Thanks for the help guys I can't wait. Been looking forward to hunting the black hills for several years

Yoteduster

Good luck on your trip and be safe.
Let us know how you do

tbowers

I'm heading out Wednesday unless weather looks like crap- rain is forecasted everyday from Sunday thru Friday so that's always nice. Camping in my truck so if it's a wash out I'll go crazy sitting in the truck.

longbeards

First get On-X maps on your phone. Try to get as far from the road as you can. AND take warm clothes I have hit more then one big snow in the hills while turkey hunting!

tbowers

Quote from: longbeards on May 10, 2020, 10:06:45 AM
First get On-X maps on your phone. Try to get as far from the road as you can. AND take warm clothes I have hit more then one big snow in the hills while turkey hunting!

From looking at OnX, getting 'away' from roads is easier said then done. The entire area is a giant maze of forest roads - looks like you are never more then a 1/2 mile in any direction from some kind of road.

Hobbes

I may be wrong, but wouldn't expect them all to be open to drive on.  Look for the Blackhills Travel Management Plan.  It should show you what trails are open to vehicles.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=22263

tbowers

Quote from: Hobbes on May 11, 2020, 01:00:05 PM
I may be wrong, but wouldn't expect them all to be open to drive on.  Look for the Blackhills Travel Management Plan.  It should show you what trails are open to vehicles.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=22263

OnX has a toggle to show you which ones are open to motorized use. It highlights them in purple

Tom007