OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 1187 12 gauge 3.5" 23"

Started by RED NECK, May 07, 2020, 07:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BINK McCARTY

You may want to try Foxtrot ammo.

RED NECK

I had this gun in the woods Saturday morning in a complete downpour,the weather was not good Saturday so I spent some time getting errands done and then this morning there was frost and It just was a slow weekend.I got on some birds around 10am today but nothing came of it, I have the gun all cleaned up,oiled and ready to go for an hour before work tomorrow.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Mr. Nasty

Which gun did you end up liking more? The 870 or 11-87? What shell/choke did you end up settling on?

RED NECK

I like both,I have hunted with both.I am shooting longbeard 3.5" 6's from the 1187 with the rsf stock turkey choke,no need for anything else and I am shooting a longbeard xr choke and longbeard 3.5" #6 magnums from the 870 and fiber optic sights. Both are solid setups and both pattern very well.

RED NECK

I was rained out for work today, so knowing that was the case.I went and roosted some birds last night and decided we would go in and sit in the rain, and call a bit, and see what would happen. We had 4 hens, 4 toms and 2 jakes fly down about 200 yards away from us and I played with my trumpet a little, I had called in 8 jakes with it opening morning but I had some longbeards stay just out of range the previous few mornings I have been out in the 9 day old season.

I called the hens within 10-12 steps of us this morning with the trumpet, and called in the 4 toms to about 31-33 yards, We tried for a double but It just didn't pan out as the bird I ended up shooting was about 7-8 yards to the right of the other 3,and they were about 1 yard apart, my father was sitting about 5 yards to my left, and never could get a shot, without shooting more than one and when I shot, the birds ran and one flew away.

The beard was thin and had severe beard rot but he has decent hooks for this area and weight wise,he is a little above normal. It was a great morning,they gobbled 10-12 times on the roost and a few times on ground but did not fan,windy and a steady drizzle. I worked up the hen enough to drag them all within range, this is my first kill using a trumpet call and the first with this gun, 3.5" longbeard 6's sent this one to his last ride.