OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Virus A Problem For Turkeys

Started by silvestris, May 06, 2020, 12:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Gobble!

Bad timing for the virus from a turkeys perspective without question.

SinGin

I've been working 5 days a week, so don't blame me.

LaLongbeard

I did see probably twice as many people in the woods in La this spring, but as usual I heard no shots while I was hunting. I think there's more turkey spooking than turkey killing going on in La. Not sure I'd believe the 15% increase La has a very poor system of keeping track of kill numbers. I was checked by Wardens more often this spring also and 3 told me they had not checked a dead turkey or seen a hunter with a used tag while checking? I'd bet most of the "extra" kills were by part time deer hunters hunting over food plots or corn feeders on private deer leases.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

guesswho

According to telecheck results, both Georgia and Alabama saw a big increase in harvest numbers, and Georgia is still open another 9 days.   

I know I heard a lot more Hootie Hoo's and road yelpers this year.   Plus a lot more people hunting during the week.  I agree, with the NWTF and social media, turkeys face an uphill battle.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Spurs Up

"More hunters means an increased likelihood of disturbing a hen on the nest."  We've been told we shouldn't be hunting them too early. Remember, it disrupts breeding...  And now we're learning we shouldn't be hunting them later once they are nesting, at least not where there might be lots of hunters (think most public lands).   :z-dizzy: 

Greg Massey

I'm sure a lot more people have hunted this year than pass years. Public and Private

Chordeiles

Definitely a lot more people spooking turkeys on NF here in Va. Hunters and hikers, some from out of state.
It was pretty bad for the first two weeks. Pretty much back to normal now.

Marc

I would guestimate 10 fold hunting pressure...

I know of several duck hunters that decided to give it a try...  Couple of my neighbors were asking about equipment and gear...

One ranch I hunt, I generally hear a couple shots per season on neighboring properties....  Sounded more like dove season on the opener this year.

Heard lots of double and triple shots (three shots generally means the bird got away to me)....  Birds on public and private were not as eager to finish to a call.

I doubt it effected the turkey populations much though...  Too many areas the birds are safe or inaccessible...  I give more credit (or blame) to the weather for turkey breeding conditions to the rise or fall of turkey populations in my neck of the woods
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

fallhnt

Weekend warriors are out every day of the week now. Heard of more shooting "accidents" this year. One boy lost his life. La is correct about turkey spooking. Gun hunters are always running around chasing gobbling about 30 seconds after fly down. Waiting to compare turkey harvest to last year when seasons finish.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

NCL

Certainly saw more people this year than in past times. One spot I went to during mid week, where I have never seen another hunter, had two vehicles and a tent, the alternative spot I had picked also had a vehicle. The other public spot I visited also had mid week hunters but it seems about the normal number I usually see, although they were in a different area than usual see then parked.

WorkingBirds

I'd guess around 25 to 30% higher number of hunters seen this season.

Sixes

I'm pretty sure Georgia ran out of gobblers yesterday since it seems like the whole state killed their limit this spring.

Tomfoolery

Definitely saw more people during the week here in LA, but of the whole season I didn't see 1 person outside their vehicle in the woods. Just riding roads and calling frok their truck.