turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Youth Vest recommendations

Started by PAstevedave, May 04, 2020, 10:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAstevedave

Hey everyone, I've been hunting turkey for quite a while but this season will be the first time I'm taking my son with me.  Now, as I'm gathering everything for our first trip out, I've realized he's really going to need a vest sooner than later.

Do you have any recommendations for a good youth vest with a seat or should I go with a smaller adult vest?  Something that won't break the bank but will hold up.

For reference my son is 5'0" and about 100lbs.

At only 9yrs old, I'm sure he'll pass my 6'0 in no time. 

Thanks in advance. 

Marc

I would use a cheap camo upland vest, or strap vest...

What I do for my young daughters is take some older waterproof jacket and put that on the ground for them to sit on (so they do not get wet).  A seat cushion for a 9 year old is not necessary...  Heck, the only time I use mine is if there is moisture on the ground.  I once used a garbage bag for my daughter when I realized I took the wrong jacket (that was not waterproof).

From my experience, the thing that is most troublesome with kids is keeping their hands and feet warm...  Waterproof and warm footwear and gloves are a must...  I was surprised that even on simply cool mornings, kids feet and hands get cold fast (when they are sitting still for a bit).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

rdjustham

I was in the same position just prior to the season (11 year old, 5' 100 ish pounds).  I checkout out the redhead youth vest and honestly for the money, i couldnt see buying one.  I looked and felt cheap to me and their were no real pockets to hold any of his calls, plus it would have only lasted him a season, maybe two and why waste the money.

I strapped him up in a Run n' gun 200 and it had enough adjustments to fit him properly and more than likely last him til he has a job and buy one he likes.  Unfortunately the only one the local store had had a tear in it and if i ordered him one it wouldnt have made it in time, but I am hoping they are on sale after season and will be picking one up for him.