OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How to put the slip on these ol’ longbeards  (Read 5315 times)

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: How to put the slip on these ol’ longbeards
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 09:33:49 PM »
Yea I actually realized that I think I was being too aggressive really trying to force it to happen. So I have slowed down my approach, really kinda sneakin place to place. I was also over calling a lot, just throwing the kitchen sink at the bird. This started to turn around for me later on in the season, only problem I faced then was waiting too long and not moving early enough. Which isn’t that the standard turkey dilemma? Haha do I sit? Or move?? How long is long enough??

A member on here really helped me out on all this. He really explained things to me and helped me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 08:11:14 AM »
"ihuntoldschool" pretty much hit it. I used to be what the young crowd calls "run and gun" before it had a name...I just called it "walk and call". I killed my share of birds that way. Anymore, I'm more of the "mosey from place to place then sit and call" type of hunter. My percentage of success is probably about the same, but a lot less tiring now!

I managed four birds this year...all of them by exercising patience. Years ago I would have been long gone looking for a more eager bird.

that about sums it up, I cant walk all day like I used to, slowing down hasnt hurt at all & Im less tired. Mike

Offline ssettle

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2021, 08:40:00 PM »
Get close even under them way before daylight if you know where the are if you can. Or wait and go out later after the other hunters leave and go home. Me if they are not responding I like to sound like a flock. And then sit back take a nap and see what happens

Offline High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2021, 11:08:06 PM »
I think moving around is always risky. They can see very well. I've become better at it, by moving  less.

Offline Blackduck

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2021, 10:55:22 PM »
My bet is that you were being so aggressive to get close that they heard "something" in the woods and didn't want to go towards it until it showed itself. And it sounds like you were calling too much from your last post. Call less, listen more. One call and he knows where you are.

I have learned to stay back and play it slow and soft early in the year. Too easy for them to catch you moving in the woods, plus you're just learning their personalities. Later in the year, once it's greened up, that's when I like to move on birds and play aggressive. You can get away with it more easily, and with the season ending you have less to lose by bumping a bird.

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2021, 04:38:50 PM »
As I stated in another post, WTF are these blank Tweet symbols I'm getting in this post?

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2021, 08:58:34 AM »
As I stated in another post, WTF are these blank Tweet symbols I'm getting in this post?

Seem to have reappeared, did not see it all morning and now it is back.