OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: I have been beating the bushes for an upgrade  (Read 1298 times)

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
I have been beating the bushes for an upgrade
« on: April 29, 2020, 09:05:29 AM »
I went after a nice bird yesterday. I walked a mile to go around where he was roosted. I found a place 150 yards from him. I set up in the end of a field that has corn stubble about 12" high. He never gobbled. He circled me on the old railroad bed and came into the field on my right with no possibility of moving for a shot. He drummed for 15 to 20 minutes. This is a smart bird. He knew where I was and that a hen was supposed to appear.

I saw something right at the top of the corn stubble moving in his direction. I realized it was a coyote's back. The bird took off. I didn't have a shot at the yote either. Had a great morning.

This bird is a monster. Beard is easily 12" and probably closer to 13". Probably 23 to 24 lbs and some nice hooks. Not hooks like on Kevin but still a possible 75pt bird.

In that yellow circle is a drumming gobbler

This is from where the bird was standing looking back to where I was hiding.
Where that tree sticks out the farthest is where I was aout 20' back in the trees.

This is where my brother in law boogered him with decoys Saturday.

I had him coming through that low spot last week and a live hen cut him off.
He was just out of range. He still wanted to come to the call. He would follow her then come towards me. He was loosing interest in her so I saw an opportunity. I waited till he turned away fan up and got up and went down the railroad bed. I knew if I could get in front of them I would have another chance to call him.

I had him. He was coming on a string slowly but coming in full strut. To get a shot I was going to have to climb the railroad bed bank. That is when disaster struck. It was muddy and I stuck the barrel of my 28 gauge in the mud. This picture is after I had already dug out most of it with a stick. I thought I am going to document this. All the time the bird is 60 yards and closing.

I pulled the barrel off of the gun. I found a suitable brier for a cleaning rod. I cut a piece of camo material off of my hat and got the mud out. By this time the bird was in range and I didn't have a shot.I tried to ease up to shoot and he saw me.

Offline TNTRKYHunter

Re: I have been beating the bushes for an upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 03:24:43 PM »
Stay after him reflexl!! Sounds like you were close! I have been putting in some miles over the past couple of weeks. I managed to kill #3 last week. Not an upgrade though. Still chasing them. Hopefully the my last bird will be an upgrade. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 05:06:06 PM »
Yep I am after both of the big birds. Last tag so it has to be a pretty nice bird.
The birds are all out of what this year. We have several hens already nesting and plenty that aren't bred yet.

Offline Clwg97

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 01:50:09 AM »
I still have a weekend in Missouri and a weekend in kansas late in season to hopefully try and find some birds and upgrade mine!

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 07:02:01 AM »
Well if you’re beating the bushes, I think I’d probably stop doing that; you’re spooking him. all kidding aside great story and pics, the mud in the barrel is priceless. Stay after him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 11:37:00 AM »
LOL he aint scared of no bushes!!!

Offline misfire

• Double Beard
    • Misfire Game Calls, custom duck and turkey calls
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 10:32:34 AM »
Thats just plain bad luck, hope you get him. I to am suffering, had a very good bird, definite upgrade, and a poacher slipped in and spooked him off.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net