OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Purr help

Started by bigbird, April 26, 2020, 08:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbird

I can flutter my lips and tongue but I wanna try to learn how to flutter or vibrate my uvula. I can gargle water but without any water that dude doesn't do much except hang there or go all the way forward when I huff. Does anyone have any good tips that they used to learn how to make that gargle sound ?

Sir-diealot

I can get the uvula going really well but am not the greatest at purring regardless. I am close to useless fluttering my lips. I would guess you are trying to do it to hard, it should not go up and over your tongue at all, if so you are breathing to hard I would think.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

mtns2hunt

uvula? I know the anatomy but did not realize it played a part in purring. I learned to purr by fluttering my lips and it sounded good. Then one day I was purring and realized I was fluttering my tounge and the purr sounded much better. Scott Elis has a video or two out on purring. You can find him on you tube.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: mtns2hunt on April 29, 2020, 07:44:41 PM
uvula? I know the anatomy but did not realize it played a part in purring. I learned to purr by fluttering my lips and it sounded good. Then one day I was purring and realized I was fluttering my tounge and the purr sounded much better. Scott Elis has a video or two out on purring. You can find him on you tube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDI36-LToB4&t=6s
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

LMO

What seems to be the best cut for purring?

GobbleNut

Quote from: LMO on August 28, 2024, 08:13:45 PMWhat seems to be the best cut for purring?

Simply stated, the call design that is best for purring for any one individual is the one that matches his "calling mechanics" the best...and relative to the purring method he is using.  That is, those methods already mentioned above... the "lip flutter", "the tongue flutter", or the "gargle method" (which is what I believe some are calling the "uvula" method)...or a combination of those three.

I am what might be referred to as a mouth call junkie.  I have made hundreds of mouth calls, mostly just for myself (as well as regularly for others), and do all sorts of experimentation with call designs and cuts...basically just to entertain myself and to try to sort out the "science" behind all of it. I can't tell you how many times I have given a call with a design that works great for me to somebody else only to have them not be able to produce the same quality of turkey sounds with it. 

After a few decades of doing that, I can sum it up by saying that there is no "magic bullet" for anybody in terms of what type of a call is best for any one sound...purring or any other. There are just too many variables involved. Even for myself, I can make one call that will produce a fantastic purr...and then try to duplicate that call and not be able to reproduce that same purring sound with it.

Here's the kicker, though...which I preach like a broken record regarding mouth calls. If anybody has mouth calls that don't make the sounds they want, just take those calls and modify them a little bit at a time by changing the cuts slightly, or stretching the reeds a little, or even removing portions of the reeds.  You will very often be able to change those calls that are "sow's ears" into "silk purses"...as that old saying goes. 

Granted, you might not be able to get every single sound a turkey makes out of a single call that all sound great, but you should eventually be able to produce a call that makes any one specific sound you might want to make at any given time when hunting...again, based on your specific calling mechanics.   

Now having said all of that, I would suggest maybe trying an uncut, two-reed call made out of thinner latex material (.003, proph, or combination) that is slightly tensioned/stretched as a starting point.  If that doesn't work, keep modifying the call a little at a time. Hopefully, you will hit on something that gets you the purring sound you want.   :icon_thumright: 

LMO