OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbler in field

Started by jwm1485, April 24, 2020, 04:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwm1485

Hey Guys,

What do you think is the best way to work a gobbler that you see out in a field?

Thanks

SwampRooster17

I would try setting up just off the field 30-40 yards into the woods so when he comes to the edge of the field looking for the hen that's in the woods he will be in range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

In killing field gobblers , it takes a lot of patience's most of the time, in hunting field birds you may have to spend 2 - 4 day's figuring him out and cutting the distance off between his roost area and where he comes into the field. Hen's coming to the field to feed and lot's of times that field gobbler will stay just inside the edge of the woods strutting and watching the hens , if he feels the hens are leaving he will more or less enter into the field. Field gobblers are very unpredictable, that's why it takes patience's and spending time with him so you get that shot on his red head..

Tom007

X2 with Greg's info. The farm I hunt in NJ has a lot of fields, hedgerows, and of course woods. It is a hilly farm, the birds roost above a lower field. I found out through scouting that the birds always end up by 8-9 am on the upper part of the farm. I get there well before light, they will spot you walking in if it's not totally dark. I set out my hen, an Jake in a top field where they can be seen from all angles. I sit in the edge of the wood line, decoys 20 yards away. I set the Jake with his back to me, the hen in front of him a few yards away. Last 4 years, opening day the Toms  showed up between 8 and 9:30. Came right to the decoys. It's a long sit, but you get rewarded.  It's been a successful tactic. Hope this helps....be safe.

WAGinVA

Tombo has it right BUT place the jake facing you.  Gobblers will almost always approach the jake and will approach him face on.  This will give you a great opportunity to get your gun up while he is facing away from you, especially if he is in strut.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: WAGinVA on April 24, 2020, 08:26:47 AM
Tombo has it right BUT place the jake facing you.  Gobblers will almost always approach the jake and will approach him face on.  This will give you a great opportunity to get your gun up while he is facing away from you, especially if he is in strut.
X2....Ill add I usually set up right on the field edge and use decoys. I set them out 15yds most generally and not more than 20yds. The reason I do this is so I have less of a chance of them hanging up out of range. Most of the area I hunt(private ground) has alot of small fields. Sometimes it takes alot of persistance /patience killing them and most of the time I end up getting my tag filled using this method.
I've learned from hunting the area especially early season this method works well verses run and gun and bumping birds because of the terrain and lack of foliage. Good luck..

Tom007

You guys are spot on. I just face him away so it looks like they are both coming out from the wood line into the field. It doesn't matter much, cause the wind does move em a bit, spinning. Adds so realism though, all good....

catman529

Lots and lots of patience. And you can't predict which way he will go unless he's been roosting the same spot every day, and you catch him right before he goes to roost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jwm1485

Thanks for all the feedback guys but what im really asking is if you drive past a field and see one in it what is the best way to play that situation.
Thanks

WAGinVA

See above, come back the next day.....

Hobbes

Sixes

Find a different one to hunt :TooFunny:

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: SwampRooster17 on April 24, 2020, 05:33:25 AM
I would try setting up just off the field 30-40 yards into the woods so when he comes to the edge of the field looking for the hen that's in the woods he will be in range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd try this if he was already in the field and I wanted to hunt him.

g8rvet

For the bird already in the field? 

Slow down.  Sit and watch for a minute.  Figure out which way he is headed.  Look for hens and which way they are headed.  Weather plays a big factor too.  If it is a rainy day, it is likely he is going to be there for a while.  If it is afternoon, he will soon be heading to roost. 

Then, once you get a feel for what he is doing, get to where you think he is intending to go and follow the excellent advice above:

"try setting up just off the field 30-40 yards into the woods so when he comes to the edge of the field looking for the hen that's in the woods he will be in range"
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Tom007