OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New to custom calls

Started by J.briscoe14, April 22, 2020, 07:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.briscoe14

Just got introduced to custom calls a couple weeks ago. Have been doing some research, but looking for input on a couple good calls to start with. Thanks!

Sir-diealot

A lot of good call makers here. What kind of calls do you like to run?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Turkeytider

You`re going to get 8 gazillion responses, most likely. You`ll probably see David Halloran`s name mentioned more than a few times. I`d recommend at least one " all weather " call for when it`s damp/rainy. Al Holbert ( Enticer Calls ) makes some excellent ones IMHO.

J.briscoe14

Most interested in pot calls

Sir-diealot

Quote from: J.briscoe14 on April 22, 2020, 07:46:37 PM
Most interested in pot calls
There are those that have been around much longer than I have but from what I have personally dealt with these are ones I would like to buy from that are well known here. I will post what I got from each but they all do more than just one kind of pot call. Also they are not listed in any particular order.

Mac Turkey Calls Green Slate
Footballer Black Slate and Anodized Black Aluminum
Stumpy AKA Dominator Calls Ceramic Calls
Michael Yingling Copper Call and others
Old Crow Custom Calls (Can't remember his name on the forum) Crystal over glass call.
Weathered-Branch makes a very simple and easy slate call to play.
John Sinclair Custom Calls I just got a Brass call from him
Paul Hicks (I do not remember his name here) Walnut pot with black slate.
Jimmy Schaffer makes a great looking pot though I have never agitated mine, I got it as a memory piece do I will not be using it. Anybody here will tell you he makes a wonderful pot call in many surfaces.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Greg Massey

Mac turkey calls , Buster - Larry Halford, Clay Townsend and Brad Roberts in my opinion are some of the best.

MDTOM84

Paul Hicks aka Daddyrat or David Halloran Twisted Sister

KentuckyHeadhunter

Paul Durham or Larry "Buster" Halford for slate or glass.  Or get a Dawkins stoned aluminum in the plastic pot.  All less than 100 bucks and all have called turkeys to the gun. Way too many options out there but these are my current favorites.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Gog1015

MAC Mark Cornelius, Buster-Larry Halford and Brad Roberts

Caspar

Since ive been a member here ive been blessed to have talked with so many amazing call makers. I can say that every one of them have gone above and beyond to make sure im satisfied with my calls. Not only do they make killer sounding and looking calls but these guys are genuinely sincere and overall some of the nicest guys ive ever talked to. Heres a list of my favorite call makers in no particular order.

Larry "Buster" Halford
Travis Wyatt
Mark "Footballer" Cunningham
John Sinclair
Paul "Daddy Rat" Hicks
Dustin Jones

Also have to mention Jeff "JLH" Harrison for strikers.

TalknTurkey

There's a lot of guys out there making quality calls nowadays, many of which have already been mentioned. A couple things you might want to consider is what your budget is and how long you're willing to wait on it. Out of the names mentioned above, some aren't even taking orders at this point and other are months out on their waiting list. Some are also twice as much as others that have been mentioned. So if you could provide this information, I think it would help narrow down your options.

howl

You need to try different builders to find what matches your playing style and preferred sound. I like to play bream hook style and want highball pop on yelps. Not every maker builds for that.

A while back I went to a call maker's shop to pick out a call. Nothing he had did that. He doesn't play calls at all like I do. I went through every call until I found one he oopsed on. I could see it in his face when he picked it up and started trying to play it. Don't know what the mistake was, but it worked for me. I really like that call.

You want a call and striker combo that gives you what you want consistently like yelp after yelp with no off notes, playing the way you like to play. If it won't do it, change strikers or move on to another callmaker.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: howl on April 23, 2020, 09:30:38 AM
You need to try different builders to find what matches your playing style and preferred sound. I like to play bream hook style and want highball pop on yelps. Not every maker builds for that.

A while back I went to a call maker's shop to pick out a call. Nothing he had did that. He doesn't play calls at all like I do. I went through every call until I found one he oopsed on. I could see it in his face when he picked it up and started trying to play it. Don't know what the mistake was, but it worked for me. I really like that call.

You want a call and striker combo that gives you what you want consistently like yelp after yelp with no off notes, playing the way you like to play. If it won't do it, change strikers or move on to another callmaker.
Well I am going to ask because I have never heard those terms used and when I just looked them up all I came up with is fishing stuff.

"I like to play bream hook style and want highball pop on yelps. Not every maker builds for that."

What do you mean by those two terms?

John Koenig:

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Swim-Bait

Hanks Game Calls Ceramic is a pretty nice call. Very user friendly. Plays great with the diamondwood striker that comes with it, or even better yet; a Frogwood striker by Jeff "JLH" Harrison.