OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SP-10 magnum setup

Started by Jmillwood21, April 19, 2020, 08:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmillwood21

Hey guys.  New to the forum. I've been turkey hunting for a few years now.  I acquired a sp-10 last year.   I'm curious what setup y'all are running on this gun and how are the results.   I just bit the bullet and ordered a rhino 720 choke and some apex tss 9 shot.  Seems like a winning setup so far. 

1iagobblergetter

I just bought a used one in Bottomland not to long ago. I'm going to go the with a Sumtoy and Fed heavyweight #7s like Old Gobbler posted in this section. I have about 10 boxes of Fed#7's i need to burn up.
Post up your patterns when you get it dialed in.

Jmillwood21

What size choke are you going to be going with?  I have a rhino 685 I got from a buddy and I ordered a rhino 720. Then I have the chokes that came with the gun.  May pick up some of the number 7 while they are still available if they are a good round.  Not too many choices out there for 10ga ammo anymore. 

Jmillwood21

I was going to post a photo of my pattern but I can't get it to work for some reason. 

1iagobblergetter

Read Old Gobblers thread below yours..Says revised..Thats the choke I'm planning on getting.

mcw3734

On my third year shooting an SP-10 and I really like it. The first two I was shooting Federal Heavyweight #7 through a Trulock 680 choke, with fiber optic rifle sights. Did fine. But with that ammo being discontinued, I had to make a switch for 2020.

The new set up is a Vortex Venom 3MOA attached to a Meadow Creek Mount and Nitro #7.5 TSS though that same Trulock 680 choke. Seemed to pattern fine, though I was in a rush when doing it. And I did kill my first bird yesterday afternoon, so that's good. Having said that, I just ordered a Trulock 700 choke, as people seem to say a for the 'larger' TSS shot, something closer to 700-720 works best for many. So, I'm going to take some time and  compare.

Welcome to the club! Both OG and the 10 gauge.

Jmillwood21

The 720 seems to be a good choke with the 9 shot.  Blew a hole thru the cardboard at 20 yards. Almost too tight!  But I got to take a good bird this morning with it. Seems to do the trick!

deadbuck

Please post pics when available. Am curious to see results.

Jmillwood21

If I can figure out how to post photos I will. For some reason it keeps giving me an error when uploading. I will keep trying. 

Jmillwood21

Jmillwood21

It's sideways but best I could do after trying for over two days now.  My iPhone is being a pain on uploading pics here

Jmillwood21

First bird with the new setup.

eman375

The results speak for themselves.  Congrats!

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

the Ward

Great shooting gun and congrats on a fine gobbler.