OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Va #2 down  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Mountainburd

Va #2 down
« on: April 19, 2020, 09:03:01 AM »
Woke up to a cold 31 degrees today, but for once, the wind was not blowing.  Got back into where I wanted to be to listen at first light, and heard two different birds gobbling.  The one I had apparently walked past on the walk in.  I went to the one that was gobbling the most which was the other one.  When I got back to where he was, I realized he was roosted high on a steep ridge that was thick between me and him.  I tried to close the gap but ended up spooking him out of the tree from 100 yards out trying to get tight.  I watched him soar way above me down into the valley.

I started covering ground back in that direction but wasn't hearing anything.  I decided to head back toward where I had heard the first bird I walked past, when all of a sudden a bird gobbled where I had just come from.  I beat feet over there and when he gobbled, I believed he was across the valley on the point across from me.  I decided to give a call and it sounded like he had dropped down below me and was comig.  I quickly set up and called one more time, and he gobbled below me and was closer.  I putt he call down and waited.

About 3 minutes later I hear drumming and see his fan pop up over the rise at 30 yards, but he was over my weak side and I needed to swing.  Luckily he stayed in strut and went behind a tree, and I swung on him, and he popped back out again.  I cut with my mouth call real quick, and when he popped his head up, I dropped him at 30 yards at 7am. I believe he may have been the same bird I spooked in the morning but I'm not certain.  I had another bird coming into me as well that was closing the distance when I shot him.

He's not an upgrade but a great feeling.  I've been hunting all week, and the days the turkey decide to be turkeys again are very few and far between.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 11:41:13 AM by Mountainburd »

Offline WildSpur

• Longbeard
Re: Va #2 down
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 09:31:01 AM »
Way to go!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Offline Hayudog

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 11:28:14 AM »
Gertin' it done Mountainburd!!!!

Offline AppalachianHollers

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 12:08:51 PM »
Awesome story! Weidmannsheil!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 12:59:46 PM »
Somebody is doiN’ it! WhoooP!  :icon_thumright:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 08:06:42 PM »
Good job
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 08:13:48 PM »
Congrats brother!! At least one of us is killing some birds!!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Offline suburbhunter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 09:47:24 PM »
Awesome, congrats. Your story and mine are kind of similar, even the pic. That's kind of creepy... :drool:
I had not seen your post before I posted mine...