turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Federal TSS #7 vs Winchester Long Beard XR

Started by WorkingBirds, April 16, 2020, 12:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WorkingBirds

Currently I'm shooting the 3" long beard #6's. Could I achieve better results by switching to the federal tss #7's? I'm shooting a remington 870, 21" barrel with a .665 mad choke. Thanks for any advice.

dejake

Yes.  You'll get more pellets,  more kinetic energy per pellet, and a better pattern (in my opinion).  From what I've seen, Longbeards' patterns are too tight for my liking.

Gobble!

Quote from: WorkingBirds on April 16, 2020, 12:16:13 PM
Currently I'm shooting the 3" long beard #6's. Could I achieve better results by switching to the federal tss #7's? I'm shooting a remington 870, 21" barrel with a .665 mad choke. Thanks for any advice.

More than likely yes. You'll have more lead #6s per oz compared to TSS #7s (222 vs 185). TSS however will hold its pattern longer and without a doubt penetrate more. If we're talking about limiting shots to 40 yards I doubt I would switch from the Long Beards to TSS #7s though. I would however switch to TSS #9s without question.

Magdump

I look at it this way.

Longbeard crushes all other lead loads.

TSS crushes Longbeard.

Wigsplitter

I look at it this way.

TSS crushes Longbeard.   That's a good observation there!!

perrytrails

Quote from: Magdump on April 16, 2020, 01:17:43 PM
I look at it this way.

TSS crushes Longbeard.
This...

zelmo1

TSS, you will never regret it. Find a good choke and never take it out.

Ol timer

Price you get more bang for your buck with XR vs Tss.

Go G.W.

:welcomeOG: :OGturkeyhead:
Quote from: Ol timer on April 17, 2020, 07:13:32 AM
Price you get more bang for your buck with XR vs Tss.
This^^
Longbeard kills them quite dead!

Ol timer

A picture is better to decide XR #6 vs Fed#7 TSS Rem. 870 20 ga. 26" barrel.

g8rvet

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

RED NECK

I like tss #7 for a 20 gauge but I purchased a 12 gauge 3" to shoot 3" tss #7 from this year.I bought a .640 fed tss choke,.675 undertaker and I just got the .660 trulock today.So far I would never even consider buying more tss from the first two chokes I sent it through as the lb #6 in 3" kills it.I am hoping to see what the .660 does tomorrow with the tss#7. So far I find it highly overrated in a 12 gauge.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

crow

Quote from: Ol timer on April 17, 2020, 04:46:48 PM
A picture is better to decide XR #6 vs Fed#7 TSS Rem. 870 20 ga. 26" barrel.

Both of those bird are dead at 25yds, but a quality trap load in #7.5  would be better at 25yds

if you want a better comparison to make a decision shoot again at 40yds

longbeards

I shot Winchester Longbeards since they came out, instantly out shot all other turkey ammo on the market at the time!
BUT 3 years ago  I grudgingly started using a Federal TSS as the first round in my turkey gun. The price was so high I hated to buy it! BUT it out shot the comparable size shot in Longbeards. BUY a considerable amount. I judge my pattern on a 10 inch circle at 40 yards. The pellet count on Winchester Longbeard No 6 was in the 160 neighborhood, The TSS 235 plud... and I believe the No 6 Winchester is equal to a No 9 TSS in penetration and knockdown.... .

Anyone get in on the crazy prices on Federal TSS at Cabelas online the other day? 410 for $14.99
12 for 18.99?

DP42912

Quote from: longbeards on April 18, 2020, 07:13:24 AM
I shot Winchester Longbeards since they came out, instantly out shot all other turkey ammo on the market at the time!
BUT 3 years ago  I grudgingly started using a Federal TSS as the first round in my turkey gun. The price was so high I hated to buy it! BUT it out shot the comparable size shot in Longbeards. BUY a considerable amount. I judge my pattern on a 10 inch circle at 40 yards. The pellet count on Winchester Longbeard No 6 was in the 160 neighborhood, The TSS 235 plud... and I believe the No 6 Winchester is equal to a No 9 TSS in penetration and knockdown.... .

Anyone get in on the crazy prices on Federal TSS at Cabelas online the other day? 410 for $14.99
12 for 18.99?
Yeah I bought the 12, I've been shooting long beard no.6 for the last 3 years and couldn't imagine needing a better round, but for that price I'm going to see how they perform out of a 870 with Carlsons .660.